Premed 101 Forums

Competitiveness of IM residency in Ontario IMG

Edict

How competitive do you think IMG spots for IM residency in Ontario are? They publish how many spots exist, but not how many applicants for each program there are (also they don't really say how competitive applicants are).

What are program directors really looking for in applicants? How much do things like speaking english natively help and being from Canada help? How much do things like rotations in Canada help and how about rotations at the site you are applying vs rotations at other med schools in Canada.

Does knowing doctors who are involved in the committee/selection process or references letters from doctors the committee knows help/help a lot? (Is it the be all and end all?)

Sorry, i'm just throwing a bunch of questions out there.

I would view all IMG spaces as competitive, and all IM spaces in Ontario (except for NOSM, maybe, if they have any) as very competitive. Every other program is reasonably competitive for even CMGs, with Toronto probably being most, then Mac or Ottawa, and then Western/Queens, and finally NOSM well down below.

IM has essentially become competitive *everywhere*.

• 4 weeks later...
How competitive do you think IMG spots for IM residency in Ontario are? They publish how many spots exist, but not how many applicants for each program there are (also they don't really say how competitive applicants are).

What are program directors really looking for in applicants? How much do things like speaking english natively help and being from Canada help? How much do things like rotations in Canada help and how about rotations at the site you are applying vs rotations at other med schools in Canada.

Does knowing doctors who are involved in the committee/selection process or references letters from doctors the committee knows help/help a lot? (Is it the be all and end all?)

Sorry, i'm just throwing a bunch of questions out there.

IM is one of the more competitive fields now even for CMGs

Archived