Premed 101 Forums

How do you apply for research opportunities?

Guest mmhs12345

Hey this is what I did.

I'm first year, and what I did was google search my program name+ professors

I searched up all the professors name and their work.

Emailed like 15 of them, saying "oh I wanna help, blah blah"

13 of them said no or didnt reply back.

1 lady said yes, but it was not what I was interested in.

1 prof said yes too, and I;m with him right now.

Just email as MUCH as you can.

You will surely find one.

Hey this is what I did.

This but take your time to read their recent publishings, this shows you actually have interest in their work. Don't be shocked if some profs don't respond, I made the mistake on wasting a day writing an email for 2-3 profs and they were jerks and never bothered responding.

Hey this is what I did.

Do you know when you're normally supposed to start & finish research?

Do they take place during the normal terms or during the summer?

This but take your time to read their recent publishings, this shows you actually have interest in their work. Don't be shocked if some profs don't respond, I made the mistake on wasting a day writing an email for 2-3 profs and they were jerks and never bothered responding.

Haha I hear ya

Some profs are harsh on you and they're very cold..

For me I went to an undergraduate research symposium to look at what research the professors were doing and then I started talking with one of the professors there. Then I had to write a proposal which he read through and edited so that we can apply for an award so that I will be paid in the summer months that I'm working. They specified that it would be full time summer research.

Some programs also offer research courses where you can do research the whole academic year for grades (a few hours a week?). This tends to be upper undergraduate years.

Lastly, if you find research that you really like but they are not looking and you lack experience there you can always tell them you want to volunteer in their lab and hope that they might take you in the summer.

Haha I hear ya

Some profs are harsh on you and they're very cold..

they also just get swarmed - I mean one I knew got hundreds and hundreds of requests a year - UG students, possible masters students (both IMGs and local).....

and that prof wasn't even all that big in their field. Just a regular prof. Hard to keep up.

they also just get swarmed - I mean one I knew got hundreds and hundreds of requests a year - UG students, possible masters students (both IMGs and local).....

and that prof wasn't even all that big in their field. Just a regular prof. Hard to keep up.

That's true. But it would be nice to at least respond to the student who spends hours on their email. But I understand they do get swarmed and are busy people, but then there are profs who just ignore them.... :(

Lol msot of the profs i email ignore me as well. I personally went to them and asked them why they're ignoring all my emails and they said they just get hundreds of emails a day. I believe them haha, everytime i go to a prof's office hours one of their monitors is on the email screen with a second monitor for other work related stuff

That's true but it honestly depends which prof you're talking about. I emailed profs that stopped teaching for a while now and just do research, and they ignore me. Then I have profs that teach 1st year and 2nd year courses and if they ignore me that's fine because I understand they must have several students emailing them all the time. But I guess i can't really judge since I don't know what the full story. ...but then again, the busiest prof at our university (has a high position) had time to interview me and accept me into their lab.

Hey this is what I did.

Best approach, spam as many profs as possible. Also attach a resume and transcripts as well. Do a cover letter if you feel is reasonable, but yeah it is competitive out here, so just email as many profs as possible. Or, in a course try to visit them in office hours and ask them in person.

Archived