Premed 101 Forums

Observing interviewees

The interview email mentions: Please note that all of the interview day is considered your interview and not just the time spent with the interviewers

Does anyone have any insights on how Ottawa evaluates interviewees when they are not with the interviewers?

Do they have cameras and recording devices in the corners of the room?

The interview email mentions: Please note that all of the interview day is considered your interview and not just the time spent with the interviewers

Does anyone have any insights on how Ottawa evaluates interviewees when they are not with the interviewers?

Do they have cameras and recording devices in the corners of the room?

I have led a tour and given a presentation. Not once was I told that you were being recorded (you're not being recorded) and I have yet to be asked my opinion on any candidate for the 2018 class.

What is important to remember is that it is a professional setting and you should act accordingly.

GP

Yeah this question comes up all the time and basically don't be a **** - but if you made it this far you should know that. I asked the Queen's students about it yesterday and they told me that schools write stuff like that in case you "punch someone out."

Thanks for your response. I'm just a little worried because I remember speaking with other interviewees about some positive/negative interview experiences at other schools. Just wasnt sure if that was appropriate since at one point I think I even expressed my interest in another school, which may work against me for Ottawa.

Thanks for your response. I'm just a little worried because I remember speaking with other interviewees about some positive/negative interview experiences at other schools. Just wasnt sure if that was appropriate since at one point I think I even expressed my interest in another school, which may work against me for Ottawa.

They don't care if you're interested in another school. They care if you're a raving lunatic who manages to hold it together and look normal for the interview but is then disrespectful to other applicants, current med students, the admin staff etc outside of the interview.

I actually heard some people talking about questions they were asked in their interviews. Given non-disclosure forms were signed, I wonder if these actions would be noted (if overheard) and affect their applications.

I actually heard some people talking about questions they were asked in their interviews. Given non-disclosure forms were signed, I wonder if these actions would be noted (if overheard) and affect their applications.

They did this AT the school? Oh my...

They did this AT the school? Oh my...

Well they didn't state the exact question of course... but just vaguely hinted at them as they were discussing their responses. It didn't sound deliberate though and they probably weren't intending to disclose anything significant, which is why I'm not sure if they actually breached the agreement. If an adcom were around and overheard, I don't know if anything will be noted.

Is the interview time stated on the email the time the actual interview starts? Or are there other things to take care of first? (I'm booking flights)

The time on the e-mail is when the interview starts but it is stated to arrive at least 45 minutes before ( I would say to arrive an hour before is a good idea ) !

Is the interview time stated on the email the time the actual interview starts? Or are there other things to take care of first? (I'm booking flights)

Depending on the time of your interview, you can even go on the tours and info sessions before your actual interview as long as you return to the atrium at the stated time.

Well they didn't state the exact question of course... but just vaguely hinted at them as they were discussing their responses. It didn't sound deliberate though and they probably weren't intending to disclose anything significant, which is why I'm not sure if they actually breached the agreement. If an adcom were around and overheard, I don't know if anything will be noted.

In this case, I don't think they will note things like that since it seems unintentional, but I might be wrong as I've obviously never been part of an admissions committee. Have they ever penalized people for things like this in the past?

This is from the web page:

Hey interviewees! It's go time!

7:45 am - 8:00 am: check-in/registration. (for every [1] minute you are late you will be required to do [1] burpees)

8:00 am-9:00 am: opening remarks by Dr Mark Hanson, Dean of Admissions

9:00 am - 1:30 pm: interviews/tours (please refer to your email invitation for information about interview format)

I called and they said its likely to stay right until 130 or a bit after.

7:45 am - 8:00 am: check-in/registration. (for every [1] minute you are late you will be required to do [1] burpees)

9:00 am - 1:30 pm: interviews/tours (please refer to your email invitation for information about interview format)

I believe this is for U of T not ottawa!

I'd show up late just so I could have that warm up

GP

Archived