Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion 2014

(unless an applicant were to put something extra ridiculous that seemed fishy).

Just my guess though.

Haha I wonder how often this actually happens.. Or how often people put things in that are exaggerated/blatantly did not happen.. I'm guessing having to have verifiers is a deterrent.. I would love to read applications!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really hockeynut? I have lots of friends (who are now either in residency or are practicing to be fair, so maybe it doesn't happen as much anymore?) from across ontario whose verifiers were contacted. maybe the people you know who got accepted/waitlisted just didnt mention it to you? or their verifiers didnt mention it to them.. Is this your first application cycle? You're pretty young right? (I don't mean that disrespectfully, just based on your posts I got the impression you were just finished or finishing an undergrad) & although you say the two of us posting here are the only ones you've ever heard of having verifiers contacted, I'm thinking you probably don't know a TON of people at this point who have been accepted or waitlisted. Or maybe you do and it just happens that they weren't checked up on.

yes I am young, finishing up my UG right now, and yes it is my first cycle. I know people at every Ontario school and quite a few here at McGill and one from Calgary and one from Alberta. Maybe they just never told me about it but I did ask a few of them directly about verifiers being contacted.

(No need to feel disrepectful, that's what the internet/forums are for)

The reason I asked is due to the mere logistical constraints of calling a whole bunch of people. I would assume the number you actually get on the line upon the first call is low. Thus it is a resource intensive procedure. Makes sense that they would only do so with applicants who stand a legitimate chance of getting in off the bat or off the wait list.

I totally agree! When I heard that my verifier had been contacted I thought it was great news! I was surprised when it wasn't and I wondered if maybe they just choose a random sample from the offer & wait list & call for them? Calling for everyone would be an insane task!

I totally agree! When I heard that my verifier had been contacted I thought it was great news! I was surprised when it wasn't and I wondered if maybe they just choose a random sample from the offer & wait list & call for them? Calling for everyone would be an insane task!

Ya exactly, I meant that even randomly, they would only call those peoples verifiers who stood a chance of entry.

I like how personal this discussion is with only you an myself.

At this point it is out of your hands and ruminating about whether verifiers have been contacted and what does it mean if they have and havent is not going to help, only make you crazy. Concentrate on finishing your undergrad or delve into your hobbies and wait out May 15. Obsessing on your application and interview now will only be negative to your mood and confidence.

Beef

I'm still here ;). Hockeynut have your verifiers been contacted?

If they have they have not told me.

At this point it is out of your hands and ruminating about whether verifiers have been contacted and what does it mean if they have and havent is not going to help, only make you crazy. Concentrate on finishing your undergrad or delve into your hobbies and wait out May 15. Obsessing on your application and interview now will only be negative to your mood and confidence.

Beef

May 13 this year!

Haha I know this will make me seem really old but 5-8 years ago when I was a lurker on here there were a lot more posters than there seem to be now (although it appears there are tons of lurkers still ;) hey guys!). When I come on here, I'm thinking "I wonder what hockeynut's up to

"?

Haha I know this will make me seem really old but 5-8 years ago when I was a lurker on here there were a lot more posters than there seem to be now (although it appears there are tons of lurkers still ;) hey guys!). When I come on here, I'm thinking "I wonder what hockeynut's up to

"?

I'm leading such an exciting life, I imagine everyone most be thinking that.

I figured finals would keep my mind off things but it has not! I can only imagine when I get back home, realize there's still a tonne of snow, really nothing left to do other than wait.

Do we know if interview invites go out on the 13th for sure? :) I thought I read somewhere that they go out on the 15th

Are you asking about admission offers or interview invites?

Interviews invites were mailed out in the end of January. Sudbury and Thunder Bay interviews took place on March 22-23 and March 29-30.

According to OMSAS the initial offers of admission are released on May 13th. http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-dates/.

Do we know if admission invites go out on the 13th for sure? :) I thought I read somewhere that they go out on the 15th

Yes. You will know on May 13th if you have been admitted, wait-listed (and your position on the wait-list), or unsuccessful. NOSM usually sends the emails around 8 or 9 in the morning. :)

• 1 month later...

3 more days! To every one of you waiting, I want you to remember forever what it feels like right now. Remember the agony, the anxiety, the difficulty of not knowing the decision. When you are in medical school (and most of you will, if not this year then another, for you are great candidates already to have made it to the interview), these days are the ones that will keep you going. Recalling the hardship and difficulty associated with admission is one of the best drives when life in medical school gets challenging.

Remember the next 3 days. Document them. Write down something.

One day, you will look back on this.

And it could change your day.

My heartfelt best wishes to everyone. To those of you that don't get in this year, I can only say try and try again. Most med students try more than once to get in. With the right effort and the right circumstances, things will work in your favour.

Good luck, NOSM interviewees 2018!

3 more days! To every one of you waiting, I want you to remember forever what it feels like right now. Remember the agony, the anxiety, the difficulty of not knowing the decision. When you are in medical school (and most of you will, if not this year then another, for you are great candidates already to have made it to the interview), these days are the ones that will keep you going. Recalling the hardship and difficulty associated with admission is one of the best drives when life in medical school gets challenging.

Remember the next 3 days. Document them. Write down something.

One day, you will look back on this.

And it could change your day.

My heartfelt best wishes to everyone. To those of you that don't get in this year, I can only say try and try again. Most med students try more than once to get in. With the right effort and the right circumstances, things will work in your favour.

Good luck, NOSM interviewees 2018!

Once in medical school it is interesting how quickly you forget the pre-med side of things ... how badly you wanted to get in, how some of us idolized medical students, what a mystique and awe medical school held for us. Once in and some time has elapsed ... perhaps 6-8 months and things seem quite mundane after some time. Also you are not impressed when someone tells you they are a medical student ... you think 'meh, whatever so am I'. Dont get me wrong I love being in medical school but you soon realize that once in you still have to wipe your a$$ and you still are yourself and dont become some super hero.

Enjoy the wave of emotions the next few days ... I wish everyone the best of luck too.

Beef

Once in medical school it is interesting how quickly you forget the pre-med side of things ... how badly you wanted to get in, how some of us idolized medical students, what a mystique and awe medical school held for us. Once in and some time has elapsed ... perhaps 6-8 months and things seem quite mundane after some time. Also you are not impressed when someone tells you they are a medical student ... you think 'meh, whatever so am I'. Dont get me wrong I love being in medical school but you soon realize that once in you still have to wipe your a$$ and you still are yourself and dont become some super hero.

Enjoy the wave of emotions the next few days ... I wish everyone the best of luck too.

Beef

If accepted, I'm going to make sure to buy both a bidet and a cape.

Archived