Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over 7 weeks until we find out? I felt confident about how I did in most of the stations but there were a few where I definitely realized afterward that I had missed things, and was not as clear and concise as I would have liked to have been. The worst thing for me on "acceptance/rejection" day (outside of outright rejection) was getting the first email that said I had been waitlisted and then waiting for the second letter/email to say where on the waitlist I was. #5 is pretty much as good as an acceptance, # 70 probably as good as a rejection and 15-35 purgatory! Haha good luck everyone! As much as it's hard to wait, it's also very exciting!

Just over 7 weeks until we find out? I felt confident about how I did in most of the stations but there were a few where I definitely realized afterward that I had missed things, and was not as clear and concise as I would have liked to have been. The worst thing for me on "acceptance/rejection" day (outside of outright rejection) was getting the first email that said I had been waitlisted and then waiting for the second letter/email to say where on the waitlist I was. #5 is pretty much as good as an acceptance, # 70 probably as good as a rejection and 15-35 purgatory! Haha good luck everyone! As much as it's hard to wait, it's also very exciting!

Tell me about it! I was at spot #26 last year, and a friend of mine was #25 :(

That is SO hard! I really hope this is your year! Where did the waitlist move to last year?

I was waitlisted #72 last year and finished #53, so it moved 19 spots I guess?

I think the hardest part about that for me last year was not having any expectations at all regarding getting in, but then my friend (a verifier) called to say NOSM had contacted him. So my hopes rose so high because of that, and I had twice as far to fall when I didn't get in as a result.

This year I'll know that if my verifiers are contacted it doesn't necessarily mean i'll be anywhere near an acceptance! Maybe that's some decent advice I can pass on, because getting your hopes up too high in this game can crush you. Stay positive, but work on plan B.

RR

I was waitlisted #72 last year and finished #53, so it moved 19 spots I guess?

I think the hardest part about that for me last year was not having any expectations at all regarding getting in, but then my friend (a verifier) called to say NOSM had contacted him. So my hopes rose so high because of that, and I had twice as far to fall when I didn't get in as a result.

This year I'll know that if my verifiers are contacted it doesn't necessarily mean i'll be anywhere near an acceptance! Maybe that's some decent advice I can pass on, because getting your hopes up too high in this game can crush you. Stay positive, but work on plan B.

RR

That's interesting, don't know anyone that had any verifiers contacted, for any Ontario school.

How'd everyone feel they did?

Also just curious anyone else interview Sunday afternoon? Just curious if I can put a face to a username.

They should add more spots. 64 is very small.

Northern Ontario may be very large land wise but has a very small population. Another issue is, at least from my experience as a patient and an interviewee,many of the end physicians are form Sudbury/T-Bay/Soo, North Bay and would more than likely stay in those areas. It's not worthwhile to increase class size if it only means increasing the number of Southern-Northern Ontario applicants within the class, saturate the market.

In my group I was from the furthest North, A couple of women/girls from KL but otherwise mostly the aforementioned cities. (And some from orrilia/bracebridge etc. which isn't NO in my books, heck Sudbury isn't even NO in my books haha)

The need for more docs in NO is almost at crisis level. The number of spots is not limited because 64 will be sufficient for the population of Northern Ont. there are also many (if not mostly) qualified (good people, good grades) people from northern ont on the waitlist who would make up the rest of the class of the class size was 100 (for example), so it is unlikely it would be watered down by southerners who didnt fit the mandate. Also, despite the fact that its pop is smaller than southern ont, the ratio of patients to docs and the availability of health based infrastructure in NO is extremely limited. The class size is limited because it is a relatively new school. After accreditation it went from 56 to 64. In 2012 it recieved an 8 year accreditation. Hopefully it will continue to increase.

The need for more docs in NO is almost at crisis level. The number of spots is not limited because 64 will be sufficient for the population of Northern Ont. there are also many (if not mostly) qualified (good people, good grades) people from northern ont on the waitlist who would make up the rest of the class of the class size was 100 (for example), so it is unlikely it would be watered down by southerners who didnt fit the mandate. Also, despite the fact that its pop is smaller than southern ont, the ratio of patients to docs and the availability of health based infrastructure in NO is extremely limited. The class size is limited because it is a relatively new school. After accreditation it went from 56 to 64. In 2012 it recieved an 8 year accreditation. Hopefully it will continue to increase.

Also think about the communities hat are at crisis level. They are small and may only need one or two practitikners. A physician practices for 25 years that's a dry long time without having to fill that spot again. You would very quickly saturate the market. I imagine in the next 5 years we will see a hue influx of NOSM trained physicians in the north that should alleviate this problem.

In the end the main constricting factor is money. It's a public institution thus funding is always an issue, this includes the money that would have to be spent to increase facility sizes and new found placements.

I thought my performance was good. However one of my favourite stations was most likely dropped because I knew my interviewer through NOSM's SP program. Another interviewer was involved in TBAY's jazz music scene (I recognized them as a performer around town) and after answering the prompts, we briefly chatted about jazz music and the instruments we played. Personally, I really liked how personable my interviewers were and I felt I could connect with most of them. But hey, that's my perception and I have no idea how others performed. I'm pretty sure everyone was awesome in their own way. Overall I really enjoyed the MMI and my time at NOSM. My face was sore from smiling all day which says a lot.

I thought my performance was good. However one of my favourite stations was most likely dropped because I knew my interviewer through NOSM's SP program. Another interviewer was involved in TBAY's jazz music scene (I recognized them as a performer around town) and after answering the prompts, we briefly chatted about jazz music and the instruments we played. Personally, I really liked how personable my interviewers were and I felt I could connect with most of them. But hey, that's my perception and I have no idea how others performed. I'm pretty sure everyone was awesome in their own way. Overall I really enjoyed the MMI and my time at NOSM. My face was sore from smiling all day which says a lot.

It's good to have that happy feeling during and afterwards. This is my third time interviewing at NOSM, and I felt a lot better about this year than previous attempts. Similar to you, 8th.note, I also found myself smiling a lot this year. Best of luck to you!

I second rural roots - be optimistic but have an awesome plan B. The fact is, 300+ qualified people interviewed for 84(ish) spots (including successful waitlisters).

I also had my verifiers contacted when I was waitlisted (33 & 66).

Just curious again about the verifier contacting thing. What were your EC's that were verified? (ie: were they something you feel was significant?) Do they only do this to the people who go through to the full file review? (Just asking so I can gauge my potential position if possible haha)

Hockeynut, I'm not sure. It was a few years ago and I used the same verifiers for several activities. My husband (not married at the time) got a call and so did a friend. Not sure if anyone else might have and I just didn't hear about it. My husband was asked something along the lines of "can you confirm that Adeline did xxxx" and I think he said he had to disc. how he knew me and the nature of the activity. He says now that he can't rember but I'm pretty sure it was a really random part of my application.. A really insignificant travel experience and a job I think. Sorry, I know this isn't helpful, but I haven't applied in a few years so none of it is very fresh for me!

Very interesting, only time I've ever heard of verifiers being contacted within Ontario.

Me too. My guess is that the schools that require verifiers just contact people in some random fashion. I doubt there are certain activities that are chosen over others (unless an applicant were to put something extra ridiculous that seemed fishy).

Just my guess though.

Really hockeynut? I have lots of friends (who are now either in residency or are practicing to be fair, so maybe it doesn't happen as much anymore?) from across ontario whose verifiers were contacted. maybe the people you know who got accepted/waitlisted just didnt mention it to you? or their verifiers didnt mention it to them.. Is this your first application cycle? You're pretty young right? (I don't mean that disrespectfully, just based on your posts I got the impression you were just finished or finishing an undergrad) & although you say the two of us posting here are the only ones you've ever heard of having verifiers contacted, I'm thinking you probably don't know a TON of people at this point who have been accepted or waitlisted. Or maybe you do and it just happens that they weren't checked up on.

Archived