Premed 101 Forums

Old edition textbooks?

How important is it to get the current edition for medical textbooks? Specifically, I'm wondering if the newest versions are necessary for IM books (Harrison's, Cecil's, etc.) and First Aid for step 1 prep. If older editions are acceptable, how far back would you go? Thanks!

I find most of the content of physiology textbooks do not change from edition to edition.

In term of IM, I am currently using the latest edition of Harrison's. I have used the 17th edition before and the concepts/facts were actual and did not seem outdated. Some of the suggested articles were a bit old in the 17th edition 2000-2008. I would assume many changes were introduced in the actual clinical practice since the 16th edition, but in retrospective, the concepts of internal medicine that a student need to understand/know have not changed that much in 10 years.

Same thing for First aid step 1, the content is almost the same between editions. The kreb cycle does not change and the most common psych medications do not change every year...

my 2 cents

Archived