Premed 101 Forums

On the UofT website, it says, "The Computer Administered Profile is a two hour exam with a series of short and long answer questions. The CAP is not a personal profile nor is it an MCAT-type exam that you can study for, rather it is designed to assess personal characteristics/attributes, life experiences, knowledge of the profession, and critical thinking/problem-solving skills. Typical questions will explore understanding of the profession and ability to problem solve."

But can anyone provide more information on what the CAP is really like? What are the questions like, etc? I know they say you cannot study for it but is there anything I can do to feel more prepared?

This year will be my third time marking the CAP. While I cannot disclose the actual questions, you would be wise to learn as much about the profession as you can (see http://www.physiotherapy.ca). Treat it as an in-person interview for a career. You should be able to discuss questions like: Why do you want to become a PT? What makes you a good PT? What role does a PT play in health care?

This year will be my third time marking the CAP. While I cannot disclose the actual questions, you would be wise to learn as much about the profession as you can (see http://www.physiotherapy.ca). Treat it as an in-person interview for a career. You should be able to discuss questions like: Why do you want to become a PT? What makes you a good PT? What role does a PT play in health care?

Those seem like pretty traditional-styled questions. I thought it would be more problem-solving, ethical dilemmas? I guess they can have a mixture though.

Those seem like pretty traditional-styled questions. I thought it would be more problem-solving, ethical dilemmas? I guess they can have a mixture though.

The questions are certainly not limited to traditional ones, but knowing about the profession will help you write better answers for other questions like ethics. For instance:

Q: Given scenario X, what would you do in this situation?

If you know a bit about the scope of practice and ethics code, you can delve into that for a more complete and well reasoned answer.

A: Since PTs cannot do ____ but are obligated to _____, I would be choose to _____. However, because doing so and so is not mandated by law, I would also _____ on the basis of morality if _____ permits.

Compared to a response that is conjecture - or worse, goes against ethical principles - you would probably be awarded more points for being more knowledgeable and insightful.

Hope this makes sense!

The questions are certainly not limited to traditional ones, but knowing about the profession will help you write better answers for other questions like ethics. For instance:

Q: Given scenario X, what would you do in this situation?

If you know a bit about the scope of practice and ethics code, you can delve into that for a more complete and well reasoned answer.

A: Since PTs cannot do ____ but are obligated to _____, I would be choose to _____. However, because doing so and so is not mandated by law, I would also _____ on the basis of morality if _____ permits.

Compared to a response that is conjecture - or worse, goes against ethical principles - you would probably be awarded more points for being more knowledgeable and insightful.

Hope this makes sense!

Oh, that makes a lot sense! Thank you very much!

Are there any ethics books or resources you would recommend?

Oh, that makes a lot sense! Thank you very much!

Are there any ethics books or resources you would recommend?

I think http://physiotherapy.ca/about-physiotherapy.aspx should be sufficient. Remember, you're not writing an essay. Just like an interview, you're expected to know what the job/career is about, but not every single detail of the organization/profession.

Does anybody know if there is a word limit for each question on the CAP and what it might be? I am trying to prepare myself for it and knowing if I have 100 words or 500 words to answer the question is pretty important.

Yes there is a character limit, not word limit, I believe. The amount of detail expected will be reflected in the limit. With that said, write each sentence with a purpose (don't ramble on but don't be incoherent either).

• 3 weeks later...
Yes there is a character limit, not word limit, I believe. The amount of detail expected will be reflected in the limit. With that said, write each sentence with a purpose (don't ramble on but don't be incoherent either).

Do you know the exact word limit in previous CAP tests?

Archived