Premed 101 Forums

Time off between 4th year and residency?

Sorry for the newb question, but I'm just wondering if there is any time before the start of residency, and after all the electives and MCCQEs have finished, so that one can go do some travelling? I'm not yet in 4th year but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Sorry for the newb question, but I'm just wondering if there is any time before the start of residency, and after all the electives and MCCQEs have finished, so that one can go do some travelling? I'm not yet in 4th year but I'm just curious. Thanks!

The time between the end of 4th year and the start of residency is a great time to travel. In Vancouver, we write our MCCQE1 in mid-May. Most residency programs start orientation about one week before the official start of residency (July 1st). That leaves us with almost 2 months available for travel.

The time between the end of 4th year and the start of residency is a great time to travel. In Vancouver, we write our MCCQE1 in mid-May. Most residency programs start orientation about one week before the official start of residency (July 1st). That leaves us with almost 2 months available for travel.

Speaking about UBC though, our grad is in the end of May so you were cannot do much between LMCC and grad. Unless you go away for one week

• 4 weeks later...

You could even travel between match day and MCCQE (short trips). Not to make you overconfident but almost everyone passes MCCQE (haven't heard of anyone that failed actually). You still need to study but don't stress too much. You stress after the exam when many people freak out about how hard the exam was lol, but everyone ends up doing fine.

Use some time between match day and MCCQE to get ALL your paperwork/housing/car/travel planning sorted out, especially if you are moving to another institution for residency. Other than studying, set aside time to see friends and family who you probably won't see much during residency.

The time between MCCQE and residency is really your last chance to go crazy and do whatever you want. Make it a worry-free vacation time and you know you deserve it.

True. If you're planning a long get-away, the grad ceremonies put a dent in that plan. But 4 weeks is still quite generous, though.

western has 6 weeks - mid may graduation :)

I mean that is still quite the trip as you mention. Pretty much everyone goes off and does something.

Archived