Premed 101 Forums

Pregnant and starting school

I have completed my interview for NOSM and just found out this week that I am pregnant. I am inquiring to current NOSM students at the feasibility of starting school with the expectation of delivering a child via c-section at in November. I also have other children and home and was planning on balancing family and school, however this pregnancy is an unexpected turn of events. Can someone who has completed first year offer any guidance? Are exams written at semester end or in 6 week cycles?

Thanks for your time.

I have completed my interview for NOSM and just found out this week that I am pregnant. I am inquiring to current NOSM students at the feasibility of starting school with the expectation of delivering a child via c-section at in November. I also have other children and home and was planning on balancing family and school, however this pregnancy is an unexpected turn of events. Can someone who has completed first year offer any guidance? Are exams written at semester end or in 6 week cycles?

Thanks for your time.

Not sure if this is something you'd entertain, but I think most schools would allow you to defer your offer of admission until next year if you wanted to.

Not sure if this is something you'd entertain, but I think most schools would allow you to defer your offer of admission until next year if you wanted to.

schools in general are very supportive of things like this - happens quite a bit, in my class we had 3-4 that got pregnant along the way. Kind of expected with a 50% female population in the class etc.

First year NOSM male. Our first big exam is in early december, so that would likely put a hamper on caring for a newborn...

If you were to gain acceptance, my advice would be to request a deferral to the following year. One of my classmates has done this and it had nothing to do with a baby.

So if you get in, the school would likely give a a deferral. So relax and focus on your family! :D

If you're accepted, the school will almost certainly be accommodating - you wouldn't be the first med student to have a baby! Deferral has been mentioned, but there may be other options, depending on timing of delivery and how much time you'll need off. With a c-section expected and other kids at home, a deferral might be the best option, but you never know until you have the conversation.

In my previous program (in a healthcare field), during a section of training that was more difficult than anything I've experienced so far at med school, I had a pregnant classmate who did extra work in the weeks preceding her delivery, took two weeks off, did extra work in the weeks just after she returned, and graduated with the rest of us. Now, I'm only 90% sure she wasn't a super-human cyborg, so I won't say that's the norm, but it shows what's possible :D

A deferral isn't guaranteed but something to look into. I know a fourth year student who had two kids while in school (one in first, one in third) took two weeks off after each and still kept pace with her classmates (ie. graduating on time). I don't know if she looked into getting a deferral and was denied or if she just decided to tough it out. Either way precedent has been set that it is possible to have a kid and still complete med school. I'm not saying either way what NOSM's deferral policy is (because I have NO clue) but it's not a guaranteed thing.

Good luck with everything! I am so inspired by moms who decide to pursue their dreams and try for medicine. I sometimes feel like I can barely take care of myself and balance school and life, so when someone does it while having to care for someone (or someones) else it is truly inspiring!

This is actually a very interesting situation, obviously i bring no knowledge to the table here. But this is something that is, at least ideally, a planned occurrence. Unlike what most schools state to be a reason for deferral of admission. At the same time it would be rather heartless of them to say "too bad" given the situation.

I hope things work out for you!

First off, congratulations!! :) Second, these things do sometimes just happen! I am not a current student but I have two girlfriends who were in similar situations. One deferred and one pushed through and they both are now graduated, although it was a first baby for the one who pushed through & she said it was way harder than she thought it would be (that said.. As you probably already know.. The adjustment to First babies tend to feel more overwhelming than seconds or thirds). Congratulations & good luck, whatever you decide. And I agree w the other poster, med schools must expect this kind of thing in classes more than half filled w childbearing age women.. I think one of the hardest things for many female med students (esp those who get in at 25 or later) is figuring out when to start a family between med school & residency. And it's easy to say "if you want med you should do it before or after", but that doesn't account for the fact that it doesn't always happen immediately when you want it to, you are not guaranteed to be accepted to med exactly when you want to be, and women face significant fertility decline around 35 (yes I know plenty of women have babies after this time, but it doesn't change the fact, or the other fact that pregnancies become riskier in several different ways starting at 35). I'm rooting for you op!

Archived