Premed 101 Forums

Studying for MCCQE I

Any advice on how to best spend 3 weeks studying for the MCCQE 1?

In terms of exactly how you would divide your time and what resources would be best to focus on?

So far I have Toronto Notes and First Aid for the USMLE and I'm perusing them interchangeably. Should I get a question bank online?

Thanks!

Question banks are not that helpful, since most are designed for USMLE and the canadian ones are littered with mistakes.

If you have to prioritize your studying, think about the breakdown of the exam:

1/6 Internal medicine

1/6 Surgery

1/6 OBGYN

1/6 Psych

1/6 Peds

1/6 Ethics/legal aspects

Internal med and surgery probably make up 70% of the Toronto Notes but only 33% of the exam.

Focus your studying +++ on OBGYN, Peds, Psych and the Ethics/Legal sections and you will be almost guaranteed to pass.

Internal was by far my worst section and my final score was still significantly above the mean.

Question banks are not that helpful, since most are designed for USMLE and the canadian ones are littered with mistakes.

If you have to prioritize your studying, think about the breakdown of the exam:

1/6 Internal medicine

1/6 Surgery

1/6 OBGYN

1/6 Psych

1/6 Peds

1/6 Ethics/legal aspects

Internal med and surgery probably make up 70% of the Toronto Notes but only 33% of the exam.

Focus your studying +++ on OBGYN, Peds, Psych and the Ethics/Legal sections and you will be almost guaranteed to pass.

Excellent advice. Also, don't forget about the Population and Community Health chapter which is lumped in with the 1/6 ethics/legal topics.

Archived