Premed 101 Forums

Why medicine?

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest Kirsteen

Gawd,

The thought of looking at another stopwatch during a verbal passage or memorizing "the big five" Newtonian mechanics equations again makes me want to toss all the MCAT books in the bin. Ick, ick, ick. I mean, wouldn't the exam be a whole lot more fun if it didn't represent so much?

I began looking at courses, both MCAT preps and undergrad physics, again today. The way I figure it, my 30-S may fare okay for the US applications this summer, but if I can FINALLY snag three tens then it opens up some additional opportunities up here in the woolly north. I digress a bit...

It's been 16 years since I took undergrad physics--wooo! So on that note, can anyone tell me what PHY138Y at UofT is like? They're offering it in the summer and a number of med schools both, in the US and up here would prefer to see a more current credit for the subject. A couple of summers ago I took orgo during the summer and wrote the MCAT in August and the Orgo section worked out quite nicely. I'm thinking, if the PHY138 isn't too brutal, I may go for it, kill those three birds with one stone (finally disbar my fear of things physical, attain a sparkly, new physics credit and conquer the physics section of the MCAT.)

I'd welcome your opinions and experiences.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest doctorfunk

Kirsteen,

I took 138Y two summers ago at UofT, and the professor that year taught the course in a very conceptual manner. I recall the final exam being very theoretical and description heavy, rather than just equations, formulas, and calculator button pounding. It was good, however, it definately did not help me drastically on the MCAT. I found that the physics sections from those comprehensive prep books were sufficient - no real surprises. It was just a matter of become familiarized with MCAT-style problems. I guess the bottom line is, if you need a more recent physics course, I found 138Y as painless as physics could be. However, keep in mind that summer courses usually have different professors every year...

Guest thelaze

U of T has a simpler physics course than 138, it's 110 I think... anyway, I haven't taken it so I might not know what I'm talking about, but maybe it would have a less theoretical, more problem solving bent that would serve you better for the MCAT. Just a thought.

By the way, the PS section has definitely been getting easier in the last few years - way more about understanding basic concepts than solving complex calculations.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Thanks for the critique of the PHY138 course. Unfortunately, I think it's the only one offered in the summer and the utility of taking one of these courses over the winter would be a lot less.

Regarding the physics on the MCAT, I've found it to be fairly basic and it does seem to be well covered in prep courses; but I'd just love to get to the point where I'm as comfy with physics concepts as I am with biological and chemical ones. It would be refreshing finally not to begrudge physics some space in the neurons upstairs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avenirv

some words about US medical schools:

-very good schools, the best

-28-30k tuition only (US$)

-they want the 4 years tuition living costs upfront deposited into a special account, so you need around 140k US$ BEFORE even starting the school.

otherwise, good luck!

Guest peachy

Not all American medical schools want all the cash upfront! And very many of them have excellent financial aid programs, much better than the schools here.

Guest mumfirst

Hi Kirsteen,

You could look into taking a physics 101 through distance education - then it will be on your schedule. Many of the de schools have set terms but I know that at Athabasca you can start at the beginning of any month. Just a thought. Good luck!

Guest avenirv

thank you!

i am really interested. can you give me an example ?

they were talking about top schools. ok, let's go for the first 25. please, i'd very interested in getting the schools you know not asking upfront.

all state schools do not accept international students.

as about the financial help, at that level it is a BIG debt. they hope that making a lot of money you'll pay it after residency.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

mumfirst, thanks for the tip regarding physics. I'll definitely have a wee look and see what it's about.

avenirv, it's absolutely not true that all state schools do not accept international students (if you are defining Canadians as international students). Last week, I sent out an e-mail to a number of US state and private schools, asking if they will consider applications from Canadian students (without US residency nor green card). Thus far, the following schools (all of which I believe are state schools) have replied saying that they would consider applications from Canada: SUNY, U. Hawaii, U. Connecticut, and get this one: the U. Minnesota, who will consider applicants from only Minnesota, Wisconsin, N/S Dakota, Iowa or MANITOBA. Yay Manitoba! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

hey Kirsteen

I'm pretty sure columbia accepts Canadians. I used to work with a guy who was denied an interview twice at UBC (BC resident), and applied to Columbia and is now there in his 1st year. I also believe there are fellowships (or scholarships...whatever they call them) for every student. Everyone there stays in residence, and I believe with the scholarships, it reduces the fees by almost half...still around 20K US a year I believe (but may include residence)...

you should definitely look into it...I think this guy had really good mcats, but not enough extra-currics for UBC, he did an undergrad in biochem, but no MSc or MBA! so you might have a good shot

good luck

Guest Kirsteen

Cheers for that NBer,

I've only contacted about a sixteenth of the schools that are on the list, so there's a ways to go. Thanks for making that list a little shorter!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

Are we trying to compile a list of schools that will accept Canadians? Offhand, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, NYU, Tufts, Albert Einstein, Penn State, and Columbia are all yes for Canadians. Mayo does not accept Canadians.

Guest DonaldKaufman

You can also add Vermont to that list. They have some kind of combined program with Brown but I'm sketchy on the details. I was looking at US schools last fall (I live in the US), and I plan on applying to some next year if I don't get into school in Canada this year.

I'm pretty sure Michigan State and Wayne State University med schools (both in Michigan) take Canadian students (one of my friends from high school who did his undergrad at UofT is in dentistry at Wayne State...;)

Archived