Premed 101 Forums

Final Year Medical Student Bursary 2014-2015?

Sooooo I'm busy booking final year electives and essentially seeing my $$ tick away in terms of flights, short-term residence stays, etc.

I know we have discounts for flights, etc through our OMA/CMA memberships, but I'm still worried about how much this is all costing (never mind when we have to go through interviews!).

Everything I've read online says that the Final Year Medical Student Bursary ($9000 for our final year) is supposed to end this coming year....are the schools taking it over and providing smaller bursaries, or are we just left to fend for ourselves?

Thanks in advance!

----

Hummingbird

Sooooo I'm busy booking final year electives and essentially seeing my $$ tick away in terms of flights, short-term residence stays, etc.

I know we have discounts for flights, etc through our OMA/CMA memberships, but I'm still worried about how much this is all costing (never mind when we have to go through interviews!).

Everything I've read online says that the Final Year Medical Student Bursary ($9000 for our final year) is supposed to end this coming year....are the schools taking it over and providing smaller bursaries, or are we just left to fend for ourselves?

Thanks in advance!

----

Hummingbird

wow, haven't heard this - I mean they are still running the golf game this year which is supposed to in part support the bursary. Where are you reading this?

In 2012, the OMA transferred this program to the MOHLTC. According to a Negotiations notice from Dec 2012:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/bulletins/4000/bul4580.pdf

"Final Year Medical Student Bursary Program:

Ontario’s six faculties of medicine will administer the Final Year Medical Student Bursary Program for the remainder of 2012/13 and 2013/14. This arrangement is now being finalized.

There may be a delay in the issuance of the January 2013 bursary payment to clerks. The Ministry will provide a letter to clerks in December advising them of the delay."

It sounded like they weren't continuing it by the wording, but it could just be meant as an update?

--------

Hummingbird

In 2012, the OMA transferred this program to the MOHLTC. According to a Negotiations notice from Dec 2012:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/bulletins/4000/bul4580.pdf

"Final Year Medical Student Bursary Program:

Ontario’s six faculties of medicine will administer the Final Year Medical Student Bursary Program for the remainder of 2012/13 and 2013/14. This arrangement is now being finalized.

There may be a delay in the issuance of the January 2013 bursary payment to clerks. The Ministry will provide a letter to clerks in December advising them of the delay."

It sounded like they weren't continuing it by the wording, but it could just be meant as an update?

--------

Hummingbird

that just meant the cheque came from the school rather than from the OMA. It was more of an admin thing I thought - happened in my year, half of my cheques came from them and the other half came from the school. There was a delay in getting the money to us as a result but it did all come.

Ok, sounds good. Since that update was sent out in December 2012, it just sounded like 2013-2014 was the last year for which it was guaranteed. I can't find anything new about it for this year, so hopefully we can still assume it is in place.

Thanks for the clarification!

------

Hummingbird

Bit of a random question, but do all clerks at Ontario schools receive that, or only people considered Ontario residents?

all clerks. It is not a province of origin thing, it is a province of attending medical school thing.

Ontario is not a bad place to do medical school funding wise - osap has a grant that is forgiven which sums to quite a bit by the end (I think I was forgiven roughly 35K) and you get the bursary from the OMA. That is some serious cash obviously.

all clerks. It is not a province of origin thing, it is a province of attending medical school thing.

Ontario is not a bad place to do medical school funding wise - osap has a grant that is forgiven which sums to quite a bit by the end (I think I was forgiven roughly 35K) and you get the bursary from the OMA. That is some serious cash obviously.

Thanks! $9k is nothing to sniff at. That'll help with the CaRMS costs, I'm sure.

I won't be dealing with OSAP and probably won't be eligible for most provincial grants or bursaries Ontario residents get since I'll still be a PEI resident. We have no interest on provincial loans, but the bursaries and grants suck. I'll be depending heavily on the LOC in med school, so any little bit will help.

Thanks! $9k is nothing to sniff at. That'll help with the CaRMS costs, I'm sure.

I won't be dealing with OSAP and probably won't be eligible for most provincial grants or bursaries Ontario residents get since I'll still be a PEI resident. We have no interest on provincial loans, but the bursaries and grants suck. I'll be depending heavily on the LOC in med school, so any little bit will help.

the idea is that is entirely covers the carms experience. It did for me and I went coast to coast, bought a new expensive suit etc..... Actually had money to spare.

Archived