Premed 101 Forums

Changing Province Post-Residency

Hi!

I'm currently a medical student in the province of Quebec and I would like to ask your opinion on how likely/feasible is it to practice in another province's hospital or clinic, IF our residency is also done in Quebec. Is it really almost impossible if we don't have any previous contacts in the other provinces? What are some possible solutions or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm currently a medical student in the province of Quebec and I would like to ask your opinion on how likely/feasible is it to practice in another province's hospital or clinic, IF our residency is also done in Quebec. Is it really almost impossible if we don't have any previous contacts in the other provinces? What are some possible solutions or suggestions?

Thanks!

In what field? If it is family medicine for instance that doesn't matter. If is something else things like electives and fellowships spring to mind.

Shouldn't be a huge problem. People move provinces all the time. You'll get plenty of opportunity to make contacts during residency.

Obviously it's easier to move if you go to less popular places. Gen Surg position in downtown Toronto will be much harder to land than one in a Thunder Bay for instance.

Archived