Premed 101 Forums

Sudbury Apt Locations

Hi All,

I'm starting to look for apartments in Sudbury. Although I'm fairly familiar with the city, I'm wondering if anyone has advice on good locations for med students.

Looking for:

2 bed

1 bath

parking

Is Long Lake Road area a good place to start?

All depends on: a) if you have a car or need to be on a bus route; B) how much you are willing to pay; c) how close you want to be to campus

Long lake would be good, depending on how far down long lake, ie you could be 10 min from the school or 30. Or anywhere near four corners, ie paris and regent.

Several classmates have also found decent place downtown which isn't much farther. New sudbury is quite a hike to and from school so I would stay away from there.

Edit: just saw you want parking so you have a lot more flexibility as the bus routes aren't the greatest

I suggest posting in the NOSM meds '18 group on Facebook if you'd like even more responses. There are often students going into 3rd year who are subletting for those months they are away if that would be of interest. One more option.

As far as apartments go, a number of people have chosen to move into the apartment buildings on Ramsey View Court. One of the buildings has newly renovated units and free parking, though it is more expensive. The advantage of living in this area is the proximity to the hospital. You can walk it in 15 minutes and save on parking expenses at the hospital. Many carpool to school too, being in the same neighbourhood.

There are some options on Paris street too.

I kept it simple and lived in mature student rez ... young medical students were relegated to mature student rez as well if they wanted ... 1 bedroom pats with no shared living quarters.

Keeps you close to school if you like staying at school to study, go to gym, etc. Living off campus sucks because you have to drive and adds to your day. Also walking home for lunch is priceless between classes.

Beef

One man's joy is another man's sorrow, I suppose! I love living off campus. The spatial separation kept me sane. My apartment is big and beautiful, my neighbours are quiet seniors and my dog was allowed. (No pets in res.)

I wouldn't recommend renting more than 20 minutes out however, as winter driving in Sudbury can become onerous. For my 8 minute commute it's a non issue - its great. :) And Beef, agreed the lunch time at home is a definite plus for those on campus!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Point being, there are many options that work well. Choose what suits your personality and life style. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do the applications for mature student Rez come out after the class is finalized?

And should I be looking for apts in case I don't get a spot in residence? Thx

They don't really come out. You'll have to call and reserve a spot. You don't need to do anything else or atleast I didn't, as you need your student number (Laurentian) which you won't get until August.

Archived