Premed 101 Forums

Questions about medicine at UoM

Hi everyone,

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to search for answers for the following questions but haven't found anything solid so far so I am hoping that those with some insights could share their thoughts:

1) What is the medicine curriculum like at UoM compared to other schools? Is it PBL heavy, lecture heavy or 50:50 PBL/Lecture ?

2) What is the usual attrition rate for the class (ie. the number of students lost per year)?

Your 2cents would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to search for answers for the following questions but haven't found anything solid so far so I am hoping that those with some insights could share their thoughts:

1) What is the medicine curriculum like at UoM compared to other schools? Is it PBL heavy, lecture heavy or 50:50 PBL/Lecture ?

2) What is the usual attrition rate for the class (ie. the number of students lost per year)?

Your 2cents would be greatly appreciated!

1) The curriculum is changing this upcoming year for pre-clerkship so not sure.

For now it's standard lecture based with some pbl for 2 years then 1 year clerkship and 1 year of electives etc.

2) less than 1 per year. We lost 2 in 1st year (1 stayed a year back due to medical reasons, another peaced), none in 2nd year. This year not sure but unlikely anyone will actually leave med school.

1) The curriculum is changing this upcoming year for pre-clerkship so not sure.

For now it's standard lecture based with some pbl for 2 years then 1 year clerkship and 1 year of electives etc.

2) less than 1 per year. We lost 2 in 1st year (1 stayed a year back due to medical reasons, another peaced), none in 2nd year. This year not sure but unlikely anyone will actually leave med school.

Thanks so much John for sharing this great info! I really appreciate it.

Archived