Premed 101 Forums

what type of nserc to do

Guest mmhs12345

Guest mmhs12345

My prof told me that there are basically two types of nserc type positions I can do.

One is a wet lab that he said requires a lot of time dedicated and if I want to be published will take longer than 4 months.

The other is writing a review article that he said would only take 5 ish hrs a day and that I can be published by the end of the summer. I'm leaning towards this one so I can focus on mcat simultaneously.

He also said the reviewing one is not a real lab if you know what I mean as i will be using others work to make an article but the fact that I can possibly be published is great no matter what.

Couple questions:

1. Is it important in the manner I become published ( wet lab vs review article)

2.which type of lab will I gain more valuable experience?

My prof told me that there are basically two types of nserc type positions I can do.

One is a wet lab that he said requires a lot of time dedicated and if I want to be published will take longer than 4 months.

The other is writing a review article that he said would only take 5 ish hrs a day and that I can be published by the end of the summer. I'm leaning towards this one so I can focus on mcat simultaneously.

He also said the reviewing one is not a real lab if you know what I mean as i will be using others work to make an article but the fact that I can possibly be published is great no matter what.

Couple questions:

1. Is it important in the manner I become published ( wet lab vs review article)

2.which type of lab will I gain more valuable experience?

1. Yes

2. Wet lab

Writing a review article is not a good use of time if you don't have "actual" research experience. The reason why research is valuable as a learning experience is to learn how to tackle problems and make new discoveries. That won't really happen if you just write a review.

Guest mmhs12345

I dont think my professor will allow me to do a wet lab plus mcat next summer with him at the same time becituse he knows each is a big time commitment.

Are there any fields of research in particular that requires not as much Time spent per day In the lab but is still considered a wet lab?

maybe psych, or behavioral science, not sure.

it would.be great to get a pub out and learn valuable experience in the summer.

I dont think my professor will allow me to do a wet lab plus mcat next summer with him at the same time becituse he knows each is a big time commitment.

Are there any fields of research in particular that requires not as much Time spent per day In the lab but is still considered a wet lab?

maybe psych, or behavioral science, not sure.

it would.be great to get a pub out and learn valuable experience in the summer.

Some professors will let you do wet lab research while studying for the mcat... if you work around 8 hours M-F and study 2-3 hours M-F, study 8 hours on weekends it should be doable but tough....

I should also clarify. It's not necessarily the wet lab experience that is valuable but more original research. So yeah, psych or epidemiology or something like that could be good too!

Guest mmhs12345

Sweet.

the only thing is that the new mcat will need a lot of studying, I'm not really a fast learner.

so doing wet labs, as my prof told me, may requiremme tobe in the lab for more than 40 hrs a week whixh will.cut into my study time and volunteering time.

So i think I may do wet labs like.epidemiology like you said.

However, my prof said if I'm doing western blots (not sure what that is) he did say there are a lot of study gaps imbetween. So I'm not sure

I would certainly recommend the wet lab. I worked in a lab for years throughout undergrad and honestly, I think it was one of the greatest learning experiences and assets to my application.

Regarding working and studying for the MCAT........ there are many students who work and study at the same time. Many students just don't have the financial luxury to take a summer off so they do both, it will just take a longer time to study for it. It is possible!

Either way, you have to do what is best for you. Good luck!

Archived