Premed 101 Forums

mock 26 (i think?)

Guest sachy

Last year, in my interview, a question was posed to me on how doctors are paid, my understanding of the various methods (fee for service, capition, and salary), and hte pros/cons of each.

Can anyone help me out here? I dont understand the idea of capition very well, and as well, im not sure how doctors are paid in canada...i know alot of them recieve fee for service...but do some doctors get paid in different ways?

Also, for areas of health care that are not covered by medicare (i.e. things like home care and what not, that were previously, i.e. before the reforms, not covered) do the doctors recieve any money/funding from the provincial government? What about the federal government? Or are the clinics solely private, all incomming money comes from patients (that pay the insurance companies). ANy help would be great...thanks

No problem, but I simply saved the link... someone else really should be taking the credit for posting the link originally on one of the other threads... ;)

The wealth of information and resources out there really is incredible though.

Have a great day everyone.

T

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MA2003

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board, but I am really enjoying reading everyone's posts. I have a question for Sachy: at which school was this question posed? And for everyone: how common are such questions, which deal with technical aspects of being a physician? I mean, I do my best to remain abreast of current events and the health care system, etc., but I simply don't know anything about how doctors are paid! It seems rather secondary to me, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know that in order to make the decision to become a physician, it is necessary to know how the health care system works, the role of doctors, etc., etc., but the technical aspects of payment never even occurred to me.

Guest sachy

the question was asked at U of S.....and im not sure if its common...my interview seemed to stray away from the norm from the people i talked to....but i couldnt tell you for sure.

I think the reason why they ask, is to see how much research one has done in terms of how the entire medical profession works......but i really dont know for sure....i was surprised at the question myself....and stumbled over my answer quite miserably

Archived