Premed 101 Forums

2472 Biochemistry with a Medical Perspective

hard08

Im taking it right now. The summer session is 6 credit hours in 2 months, which is super consensed. I would really rather have taken it during the fall or winter because it really does demand a lot of your time. It also assumes you know quite a bit of organic chemistry but it's not a prerequisite. Im finding it pretty diffulct, but I'll make it through and be really happy when it's over :D

Im taking it right now. The summer session is 6 credit hours in 2 months, which is super consensed. I would really rather have taken it during the fall or winter because it really does demand a lot of your time. It also assumes you know quite a bit of organic chemistry but it's not a prerequisite. Im finding it pretty diffulct, but I'll make it through and be really happy when it's over :D

Hey, does it count apart of a full course load? Like if I take 4 courses at York and take this online course, is that a full course load?

I've taken organic chemistry. What kind of marks are you getting? 80s?

I'm not sure if it counts as a full course load, I'm applying at the u of m and they don't look at that factor. No, I am NOT getting 80s! If this mark was going to make a substantial difference to my GPA, I would be concerned, but I have so many UG credit hours that it won't change much wether I get a C or an A. But the averages on most of the tests are in the 70s. Even if you're stronger in science than me, it's still a pretty challenging course.

I'm not sure if it counts as a full course load, I'm applying at the u of m and they don't look at that factor. No, I am NOT getting 80s! If this mark was going to make a substantial difference to my GPA, I would be concerned, but I have so many UG credit hours that it won't change much wether I get a C or an A. But the averages on most of the tests are in the 70s. Even if you're stronger in science than me, it's still a pretty challenging course.

I'm pretty strong in sciences. I get 90s. Do you think I would be able to get an 80?

As long as you devote the time to it, I think you will be ok. It's just a huge amount of material. If you take it in the summer, don't do anything else like work or take any courses. If you do that, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Ok, thanks!

It looks like it's the equivalent of BCH210+BCH311 at UofT which weren't too bad IMO. Andreopoulos will grill you on minor details but the course material itself isn't that difficult.

I agree. It's just really detailed biology mixed with a bunch of orgo. So now that I've figured out most of the orgo part, I do get the concepts. But it's the sheer quantity of material in such a short period that's killing me, and the tests and assignments are really really detailed.

Did anyone take this online course? Its provided by U of T School of Continuing Studies and I'm planning to take it this year. It's a full credit course but it doesn't run throughout the whole year.

Anyone take it before?

I was taking a look at the University of Manitoba MD Applicant information bulletin, and it said this course is the only acceptable online biochem course to fufill their prereqs.

Thing is I don't go to University of Toronto and I'm wondering if I have to go through a long admissions process to sign up for this course? or can i just register for the course by applying then paying for the course and starting? How long would the process take for me to be able to take the course?

I was taking a look at the University of Manitoba MD Applicant information bulletin, and it said this course is the only acceptable online biochem course to fufill their prereqs.

Thing is I don't go to University of Toronto and I'm wondering if I have to go through a long admissions process to sign up for this course? or can i just register for the course by applying then paying for the course and starting? How long would the process take for me to be able to take the course?

Nope! You go to this link:

http://2learn.utoronto.ca/uoft/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&cms=true&courseId=11129232

Click "request registration", put in your name and credit card number, and you're in! You can literally register in less than 10 minutes.:o

• 4 years later...
On 6/27/2014 at 4:24 PM, BizMarkie said:

As long as you devote the time to it, I think you will be ok. It's just a huge amount of material. If you take it in the summer, don't do anything else like work or take any courses. If you do that, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Do u have notes or test bank for it? Was it all mcq?

Archived