Premed 101 Forums

Animal testing and cloning

Guest RedJellyBean22

Guest Dannyboy

I have but never in the context of an interview. I am too tired to discuss it tonight *but* I wanted to ask if anyone knew this to be true (I am too lazy to look it up myself)--in Europe do they do drug and tx tests on humans vs. animals? Some one told me that in Europe, testing on humans is not perceived as being an ethical issue since the people who volunteer to be--can't resist the pun--guinea pigs are providing informed consent. It is assumed that people have the right to choose and by denying them this right, the medical/research community are being overly and inappropriately controlling. Hmmmmmmm

Two points that do come up regarding animal testing and cloning are worth noting now. With cloning--where do we draw the line and who defines and defends those lines? What does this say about the influence of environment? Are we going over the determinist deep end?

Animal testing--rationals varying like crazy. Better to lose some animals if it saves the life of a child (they are really pulling at the heart strings with that one)? Bit speciest if you ask me and definitely too Oprahish. Really, most animal testing is profit related not "save lives" related but.....

Archived