Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscopes during O-Week?

I just received the Orientation week PDF and it mentioned Stethoscopes alongside Lab Coat fitting. What does that mean?

Am I naive to think that they will give us a stethoscope on the house? :P

I'm about to buy one off a paramedic friend who never used his as his service provides him with one.

Anyone?

I just received the Orientation week PDF and it mentioned Stethoscopes alongside Lab Coat fitting. What does that mean?

Am I naive to think that they will give us a stethoscope on the house? :P

I'm about to buy one off a paramedic friend who never used his as his service provides him with one.

Anyone?

You can order your stethoscope during o-week... not on the house :P

Last year, most of the colours of the master cardiology were $179+HST, any of the fancy finishes were $199+HST.

The Cardiology III (which I'd say 90-95% of the class went with) was $159+HST for the normal finishes and $169+HST for the nicer ones.

Not sure if the prices will be the same this year or not, but that at least gives a ballpark of what we paid last year. :)

The extra costs are pretty painful. The e-mail we got just added an extra ~$600 that I forgot to account for.

Slightly off topic, anyone know if the leadership weekend is popular? I don't want to be stingy but I'd rather not go unless most people attend it.

The extra costs are pretty painful. The e-mail we got just added an extra ~$600 that I forgot to account for.

Slightly off topic, anyone know if the leadership weekend is popular? I don't want to be stingy but I'd rather not go unless most people attend it.

Haha, glad I'm not the only one with the same sentiment. I don't feel like going. It's not really the money, but it just seems "too much" and kinda overwhelming. Not too sure if it will change my outlook on leadership too much. Not to say that it's not a good cause, but I'm hesitant on going.

Yeah, the money isn't too bad. It just seems like the only point of it would be as a social event.

That's what I sort of thought as well. The actual leadership portion is one 3.5 hour session either in the morning or afternoon, and everything else is for fun, no?

Way to put the pressure on me. :P I might ask a few of the upper-years about it.

ygella, you going for sure?

I wasn't planning on going, because I thought the event is 90% fun, 10% actual leadership stuff, so I rather save the money. But now seeing that trojjanhorse and you wanna go, I'm in two minds. If a lot of people go then I think I'll go, too.

I just fear that everyone goes because they think others are going and the event itself turns out to be actually not that useful. Perhaps some upper years can tell us more about the event?

Its worth it. IMO. Each year is different but last year was a blast and we all had a good time. It is a social event but its a time where you have the opportunity to meet most of your class all together and just chillax.

I might suggest that the facebook group would be a way better place to ask questions like this. Not many people from mac browse premed101 much (I'm personally trying to sink less time into PM101).

Conversely, I didn't go and don't feel like I missed out... I'm pretty introverted at times (though people who know me are always surprised when I say that) and a whole weekend of socializing with people I didn't know just wasn't my thing (though all of the people in my class are great, don't get me wrong). I still made plenty of friends in the class, so it wasn't the kiss of death socially to not go, haha. It's totally a personal decision - if you go I'm sure you'll have a great time, if you don't it won't make you an outcast. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences osteogeek and LabGopher. I'll definitely ask on the facebook group. Subconsciously, I still think of premed101 as the source of all that is medicine and holy. :o

Edit: looks like someone beat me to on facebook :P

Thanks for sharing your experiences osteogeek and LabGopher. I'll definitely ask on the facebook group. Subconsciously, I still think of premed101 as the source of all that is medicine and holy. :o

Edit: looks like someone beat me to on facebook :P

Darn it, I was hoping to find out who you were. :P

I think I'm leaning towards going right now. Since I'm only in Hamilton for 3 months, it might be a good time to meet classmates who I won't see that often in the future.

Edit: And nope, not Wanakita. Blue Mountain this time. I think I would've liked camping more than a resort though.

I'll definitely be going, indifferent about the leadership stuff but I've never been to blue mountain and sounds like a fun weekend. In 3 years of ~80 000 tuition, an extra 200 to get closer to the people I'm going to be spending it with sounds like a steal.

When you phrase it that way, it's kinda tempting. We'll all be in it for 3 years straight with only 2 weeks off during winter and 1 week during summer (per year).

Should I be looking for a bearded man (or woman)?

When you phrase it that way, it's kinda tempting. We'll all be in it for 3 years straight with only 2 weeks off during winter and 1 week during summer (per year).

Should I be looking for a bearded man (or woman)?

I'm 90% sure I am going. And I will be on the look out for a bearded frog.

Archived