For the lazy: School - Applied - Accepted

Mac - 4973 - 203

NOSM - 2115 - 64

Ottawa (English) - 3751 -116

Ottawa (French) - 416 - 48

Queen's - 4374 - 100

Toronto - 3463 - 259

Western - 2623 - 171

All of Ontario - 21715 - 961 (5982 people sent in 19673 applications)

Not sure where the difference between 19673 and 21715 comes from though. The 5982 is also the EXACT same number of applicants as last year which is kind of odd, maybe an error.

The fact that the number of applicants for 2014 is exactly the same as 2013 seems very peculiar... I suspect there was an oversight, because the number of applications for each school (excluding western) has increased significantly from 2013.

Queens, Ottawa, and Mac have more applicants than Toronto!? This is definitely news to me, and slightly confusing IMO. I always imagined Toronto as the most "recognizable" of the ON universities with medical schools, and figured applications would go in there by the truckload. Is it the multiple essays that are turning people off?

Queens, Ottawa, and Mac have more applicants than Toronto!? This is definitely news to me, and slightly confusing IMO. I always imagined Toronto as the most "recognizable" of the ON universities with medical schools, and figured applications would go in there by the truckload. Is it the multiple essays that are turning people off?

Ottawa doesn't need the MCAT while UofT puts a large emphasis on GPA and research which, at least I imagine, puts people off.

Mac also has a very low VR and GPA cut-off. Queens doesn't disclose their cut-offs so people apply hoping to get an interview.

To answer a previous question, western took 171 students for the 2014 cycle. I was certainly surprised to see that they took 165 in 2013.

For the lazy: School - Applied - Accepted

Mac - 4973 - 203

NOSM - 2115 - 64

Ottawa (English) - 3751 -116

Ottawa (French) - 416 - 48

Queen's - 4374 - 100

Toronto - 3463 - 259

Western - 2623 - 171

All of Ontario - 21715 - 961 (5982 people sent in 19673 applications)

Not sure where the difference between 19673 and 21715 comes from though. The 5982 is also the EXACT same number of applicants as last year which is kind of odd, maybe an error.

I add another column "Success rate %" for more convenience:

2013 Application Cycle

Med School - Success Rate %

McMaster - 4.08

NOSM - 3.03

Ottawa (English) - 3.09

Ottawa (French) - 11.54

Queen's - 2.29

Toronto - 7.48

Western - 6.52

All of Ontario - 4.43

And this does not take into account the caliber of the applicants, in terms of GPA, MCAT, EC, research ...

I add another column "Success rate %" for more convenience:

2013 Application Cycle

Med School - Success Rate %

McMaster - 4.08

NOSM - 3.03

Ottawa (English) - 3.09

Ottawa (French) - 11.54

Queen's - 2.29

Toronto - 7.48

Western - 6.52

All of Ontario - 4.43

And this does not take into account the caliber of the applicants, in terms of GPA, MCAT, EC, research ...

Keeping in mind that there were 19000 applications from 5000 applicants or so, and in the end just under 1000 get accepted, the number of applicants who get into a school is more like 1/5.5.

Don't forget waitlist movement. For many schools, if you can just get an interview, you've typically got about about a 30-50% chance of being offered a seat at that school because of how many people turn down offers. It's up to 100 or so a year at some schools. Say a school has 180 seats, interviews 500 people, and has 100 declined offers. 280 people who interviewed will receive an offer from that school by the time the class is full.

We don't need to be looking at the whole applicant numbers or the successful applicant numbers (3% of applicants getting in looks terrifying!); we just need to look at the stats for the people who get interviews. Looking at the entire pool - which includes people applying with no idea what they are doing - or just the successful applicants can be intimidating. If you can get interviews, particularly more than one, you have a really good shot at getting an offer, either in May or off a waitlist.

At least this is what I tell myself to keep my panic level down about this whole thing hah.

UofT is definetely a rly good school, but I would not say it is the hardest to get in. It has less applications, more spots, a more holistic process (which let's you compensate for weaker aspects of your application).

Having gone through the process recently, I would say all schools are challenging to get in and each give an advantage to a certain type of applicant.

Personally, I would say Queen's is the hardest to get in for the following reasons:

Statistically you have the worst chances

The admissions is in sequential steps with hard cutoffs meaning you need to make every cutoff to get an interview. This means that you cannot have a weaker aspect of your application or you are automatically eliminated.

Finally they interview 500 people for 100 spots and the post interview score is 100% interview meaning you better be amazing at interviews. Also the waitlidy barely moves compared to all other schools (UofT is probably the only waitlist that moves as little).

Finally they interview 500 people for 100 spots and the post interview score is 100% interview meaning you better be amazing at interviews.

Has this ever been confirmed in writing for the last couple of years? I was undergrad at Queen's and went to a Q&A with some 2017s and 2016s, and was told we cannot assume this is the case. I know it is the conventionally held belief.

Btw congrats Aetherus on getting into the hardest school :P

Has this ever been confirmed in writing for the last couple of years? I was undergrad at Queen's and went to a Q&A with some 2017s and 2016s, and was told we cannot assume this is the case. I know it is the conventionally held belief.

Btw congrats Aetherus on getting into the hardest school :P

It's never been confirmed, but many people believe that the interview is a large portion of the post-interview score. I believe that they still factor in your ABS score and probably give your ref letters a quick glance for pass/fail (like most schools). It's likely that your interview score at Queens will just move your pre-interview-ranked position, which is essentially based solely on the ABS

It's useless to try to say which school is the 'hardest' to get into - what does that even mean? Most schools have very different ways in evaluating students. I.e. UofO requires the highest GPA to get an interview, does that mean it's the hardest? I got into U of T, Queens, Western and Manitoba, but got rejected pre-interview from UofO and Mac, does that means UofO and Mac are harder to get into? No, it's just differences in the evaluation process. Some people get into U of T but rejected from others (like me), some others get rejected from U of T but get into others like U of O or Queens, etc...

Ya I think the 'hardest school to get into' will be completely different for different kinds of applicants with different strengths in their applications. I interviewed at all 4 ontario schools I applied to (rejected pre-interview from Dal), and ended up getting offers from Toronto and Western, and waitlisted at Queens and Mac. That might say something about my MMI performance, because I definitely felt better my about panel/traditional style interviews than MMI. So for me, U of T was 'easier to get into' than Mac, because that's where I got in :)

Archived