Premed 101 Forums

Gpa to get accepted

Hi,

I know this question has already been asked several times, but I would like to know what are my chances for to get in at Ottawa-u.

I have a 3.84 gpa (for my 3 most recents year) and many curriculars (many volunteering, for example a humanitary trip to Africa). I have a bachelor in engineering from Univrsity of Ottawa.

Also, I live in Gatineau. The admission office told me that when you live in the Gatineau-Ottawa region, the gpa cuttof to advance in the selection process (i.e. to get your CV evaluated) is lower.

Does that mean that people from Ottawa-Gatineau region have better chances to get in ? And what are my chances to get in ? Please be honest, I really want to know! (and I will apply for the French program)

Thanks!

Ana.

Hi Ana, that is correct in that your GPA cut-off for applying to the French stream is lower than for the English stream. I'm not sure of the exact GPA cut-offs but if you ask the admissions office, they will tell you what your exact cut-off is. I think having a lower GPA cut-off means you have a better chance of being invited for an interview, assuming your extracurriculars are solid. Also, after the interview, having a higher GPA will improve your chances of being accepted. This past year, 416 people applied to the French stream and 48 people were accepted. I'm guessing more than 100 people were interviewed. So statistically, your chances of being accepted is around 11.5%, not taking into account your GPA, extracurriculars, and interview performance. I think you have a good shot at the French stream. Apply :)

Thanks you both for your replies. And I saw that the average gpa to get in last year was 3.9....is it the same for french applicants from Gatineau/Ottawa?

And actually I don't have 3.84 now, I only have 3.65 but it's because of my 2nd most recent year which is really bad ... My most recent year is 3.96. So I have calculated that if I do another similar year and I get between 3.96 and 4, I will get 3.84...but I don't know if it worth it...

So is 3.9 also the average gpa for french applicant from Gatineau/Ottawa ? I ask because I don't want to get into an additional year for nothing.

Thanks!

Thanks you both for your replies. And I saw that the average gpa to get in last year was 3.9....is it the same for french applicants from Gatineau/Ottawa?

And actually I don't have 3.84 now, I only have 3.65 but it's because of my 2nd most recent year which is really bad ... My most recent year is 3.96. So I have calculated that if I do another similar year and I get between 3.96 and 4, I will get 3.84...but I don't know if it worth it...

So is 3.9 also the average gpa for french applicant from Gatineau/Ottawa ? I ask because I don't want to get into an additional year for nothing.

Thanks!

I think 3.9 was on the lower end of interview invites, the average was more likely 3.95-3.96. Out of the the pm101 forum members the wGPA range for French stream interview invitations was 3.93-4.0 (this only represents a fraction of the actual number of invites sent out so who knows how accurate it is).

Now, if i'm understanding this correctly, your wGPA as of graduation was 3.65 and you're planning on taking an additional year to supplement that? It's definitely a little risky but it can be done - and if medicine is the right career path for you, 100% worth it (not to mention an additional year of undergrad = more volunteer and EC work)

That being said, even if you get your 3.84 the chances of getting into Ottawa are pretty slim. Schools requiring the MCAT on the other hand, generally have lower cut offs and I think you'd find much more success via that route. Furthermore, schools requiring the MCAT vastly out number the ones that don't, allowing you utilize a more "shotgun" approach to the application process. How well versed are you in the MCAT 2015 subjects? For your additional year it might be a good idea to take introductory courses in the MCAT subjects you've never taken before and audit the ones you already have in order to save on study time.

Anaelle a lot of the people answered you from what they know of the english stream. I applied to the french stream and I know quite a few others who did as well. Some people were accepted with a 3.7 in previous years. If you are considered from Ottawa or Gatineau the french stream cutoff is 3.6. Also there was 98 people interviewed form 48 spots this year.

Archived