Premed 101 Forums

Research Supervisor

peace2012

Have anyone experienced a bad supervisor? I had a supervisor before that provided no training to undergrads,  discouragement and harsh comments when experiments fail, hard to talk to, and poor research and emotional support. Are most supervisors kind of mean and verbally diss you when your experiments fail repeatedly and also provide minimal training in the beginning and compare you to other students who are better to make you feel bad? If this is not the norm, how do you guys stay away from these kind of supervisors? Thanks

this is not the norm, unless all u come off as "premed trying to get research on his cv"

even then, normally they'd kick u out instead of being a d*** to you

generally, talk to other undergrads in the lab IF you can before you start working there--or even to the grad students

but yes, this is abnormal and i hope you have left this lab

It is relief to at least hear that most supervisor way are nicer. It was only a summer position and I was nice to everyone and did not come off as uninterested in the research or just doing it to pad my app. In fact, I generally worked on weekends and nights and try to do my best... However, this was not really appreciated in anyway. Thanks for your help and I will get a better supervisor next time. 

Archived