Premed 101 Forums

Personal Activities Review

Hey!

Would anyone (who has been admitted to U of A or is applying this year) be willing to have a quick look at my Personal Activities section? I didn't get an interview last year because my ECs score was pretty low. The Personal Activities section is worth more this year and I was hoping to get some final feedback before I submit my application.

Thanks a lot!

The following are the stats for people who were offered admission in the 4-YR In Province pool: 

Category: Average (Max score) 
GPA: 3.92 (4.00) - out of 4.0 
MCAT: 11.12 (14) - out of 15 
Personal Activities: 9 (16) - out of 28
Interview Score: 20.32  (25.55) - out of 27 

Note: These are the stats of individuals who were offered a position. The actual stats are now on the website. GPA is down from 3.92 to 3.90 probably due to the fact that some people got accepted elsewhere and the latter includes people who got in after being wait-listed. 

The following are the stats for people who were offered admission in the 4-YR In Province pool: 

Category: Average (Max score) 

GPA: 3.92 (4.00) - out of 4.0 

MCAT: 11.12 (14) - out of 15 

Personal Activities: 9 (16) - out of 28

Interview Score: 20.32  (25.55) - out of 27 

Note: These are the stats of individuals who were offered a position. The actual stats are now on the website. GPA is down from 3.92 to 3.90 probably due to the fact that some people got accepted elsewhere and the latter includes people who got in after being wait-listed. 

Lol that personal activities score is hilarious. Why don't they scale up the scores a bit so it doesn't look as hilarious that the max score is a 16/28?? 

Like mother teresa would probably only get 20/28 on that.

Lol that personal activities score is hilarious. Why don't they scale up the scores a bit so it doesn't look as hilarious that the max score is a 16/28?? 

Like mother teresa would probably only get 20/28 on that.

Well clearly UofA couldn't care less about what ECs people do; its never been an EC-friendly kind of school. 325 characters to describe activities? Avg. is 9 out of 28? That's what kind of people get in here. If I knew that before, I'd spend more time on GPA and MCAT and do random typical ECs...I know someone who worked as a healthcare consultant, got a huge scholarship ($70-80K), worked at WHO, developed a nation-wide sports program and only got a 12/28. Like come on! 

I know someone who worked as a healthcare consultant, got a huge scholarship ($70-80K), worked at WHO, developed a nation-wide sports program and only got a 12/28. Like come on! 

That's insane. I know someone with VERY weak ECs (only had 1 activity out of 5 per section including awards) and got a 5/28 last cycle. The fact that there is only a difference of 7 in the score between these two people is crazy. 

I do wonder though since the value of ECs has risen this year (30 from 28) if that'll make a difference. The thing is, I don't even understand why they would make it increase by 2 if they're still going to keep assigning ridiculously low values - why not just give the best EC applicant an 18 instead of 16 and raise other scores accordingly?

Edit: Just an afterthought - if the person you described got a 12, then who was the person with the 16? Steven Harper? Lol. 

I was also curious about how they assign EC scores. Last year, I also got a 12. That was with full time work experience going back several years and taking on a lot of leadership and volunteer activities. I'm a non-trad student though, so I have had a few more years to do things.  ;)  I was wait listed, but never made it off the wait list.

It will be interesting to see if the EC scores are similar in the upcoming cycle.

I was also curious about how they assign EC scores. Last year, I also got a 12. That was with full time work experience going back several years and taking on a lot of leadership and volunteer activities. I'm a non-trad student though, so I have had a few more years to do things.  ;)  I was wait listed, but never made it off the wait list.

It will be interesting to see if the EC scores are similar in the upcoming cycle.

We are not worthy! :D

Edit: Just an afterthought - if the person you described got a 12, then who was the person with the 16? Steven Harper? Lol. 

Well, I heard there was a Rhodes scholar that got into med a few years back so...

We are not worthy! :D

Well, I heard there was a Rhodes scholar that got into med a few years back so...

LOL... trust me, my score is only above average because I'm older than the hills (well not quite, but close enough  :)).  

It's sad that a person has to walk on water though to get what U of A considers a decent score (still not sure why 16/28 is apparently "high"). By the way, I forgot to mention earlier that I'd be happy to look over anyone's personal activities if they want another opinion. 

Archived