Premed 101 Forums

Help! (Brief Personal Essays)

Describe an experience you had working on a committee or group with members from diverse backgrounds. How was the leader of the group chosen? Is there an essential characteristic for leaders of such groups? Why? 

This question really has me stuck! I'm scared I won't be able to get it right before the deadline...

Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to approach it?

I don't know whether I should talk about myself or another person... Right now, I'm writing about another person and how they used what I consider the "essential characteristic" in a specific group situation. I'm thinking of also adding a part about how I developed/demonstrated that characteristic... 

I am on a medical committee, composed of a variety of disciplines, so I picked one of the former leaders of this committee because she's a physician I really respect. I would not choose to write about myself in this section. My discussion is about how she managed to balance the needs of the various stakeholders in her decision-making, and how she used resources effectively. It's hard to capture everything I want in 250 words.

I am on a medical committee, composed of a variety of disciplines, so I picked one of the former leaders of this committee because she's a physician I really respect. I would not choose to write about myself in this section. My discussion is about how she managed to balance the needs of the various stakeholders in her decision-making, and how she used resources effectively. It's hard to capture everything I want in 250 words.

Hmm that's interesting. Is there a reason why you wouldn't choose to write about yourself for this question? Does anyone think that would be a bad choice? I interpreted it as meaning we could write about ourselves being a leader in the group or someone else being a leader. Anyone have thoughts on which would be better/what they intended with that question?

Thank you!

Cheers

Hmm that's interesting. Is there a reason why you wouldn't choose to write about yourself for this question? Does anyone think that would be a bad choice? I interpreted it as meaning we could write about ourselves being a leader in the group or someone else being a leader. Anyone have thoughts on which would be better/what they intended with that question?

Thank you!

Cheers

I kind of agree with this. It seems like spending a precious opportunity like this to talk about someone else's virtues is selling yourself short since that person isn't the one ad coms are trying to get to know. 

On the other hand, I recognize the concern with not coming off as cocky by making everything about you. 

For the teacher question (Question 4), they made it pretty obvious that you are to talk about someone else but this one seems to leave open the possibility of talking about yourself as a leader. 

Just my thought. 

Just my thought. 

Thank you!

Cheers

The question leaves it open. Don't worry - you're fine. 

I spoke to a Med student from uoft in close contact with the admin committee, he said the admin committee would most definitely look down upon writing about yourself as the leader in that questions as it would come off as boastful and cocky. just my 2cents.

Arg. I feel like a dummy for not being able to interpret simple questions. Perhaps I'm overthinking. I'm still not sure what to do. Anyone else have some input? Am I the only one who chose to write about myself (I didn't do it in a boastful way though)

Thanks for everyone's input so far. :)

Arg. I feel like a dummy for not being able to interpret simple questions. Perhaps I'm overthinking. I'm still not sure what to do. Anyone else have some input? Am I the only one who chose to write about myself (I didn't do it in a boastful way though)

Thanks for everyone's input so far. :)

I personally didn't see it as the question suggesting you should talk about yourself. I feel that the point of the question is to see what you think would make an effective leader in this situation. 

I personally didn't see it as the question suggesting you should talk about yourself. I feel that the point of the question is to see what you think would make an effective leader in this situation. 

Ya I see your point. I guess I thought that since they asked us to discuss someone else in Q4 already, I figured they wanted us to talk about ourselves in this question. Well, It seems like the majority of people think we should talk about another leader, not ourselves, for Q2. 

There is no "definite" answer as to whether one should write about themselves or someone else. Keep in mind that one of the roles of a physician is to be a leader/manager -- as long as you can show the reader that you know what it means to be a good leader (and therefore have the potential to become one within your community), you have answered the question. And as you've pointed out, just be careful not to come across as cocky if you do write about yourself.

I spoke to a Med student from uoft in close contact with the admin committee, he said the admin committee would most definitely look down upon writing about yourself as the leader in that questions as it would come off as boastful and cocky. just my 2cents.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. The adcoms left the question vague on purpose. To fault any student for interpreting it in another (acceptable) way would be highly unfair.

I did end up writing about myself, after all! I'm surprised at the negative opinions here regarding that option. I also think it can go either way, and I tried my best not to sound boastful. It just felt strange devoting an entire question to another person, when I had already talked about my teacher in the previous question, so I just went with what felt right. 

I wrote about an incident where I was the leader as well, but that wasn't my focus (nor should it have been, given that's not what the question is asking). 

I selected it solely on the basis that it best answered the various pieces of the question being asked. It definitely did not come across boastful and cocky, as the only time I referred to myself was when I actually mentioned what the experience was in the introduction.

Archived