Premed 101 Forums

Do- Kcumb Application Invitation

I've recently received an email from KCUMB inviting me to apply as they would give me fast-tracked admissions

decision for 2ndaries, and priority consideration for interview spots and scholarships.

I wasn't really aware of DO schools, and didn't apply to any US med schools this year.

Currently, I have applied to Canadian schools and I would say my stats are quite mediocre. 

MCAT: PS 10 VR 10 BS 12 (32)

OMSAS GPA: 3.8 

last 2 yrs: 3.98

(science GPA would be higher as I have a year of business courses)

I'm studying the DAT to take in 3 weeks to apply to dentistry in Canada as an alternative path.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experience with applying to KCUMB and this priority status.

Would it give me a good shot at acceptance?

Also, what are their financial policies? If I were to attend, Would I be able to get a LOC to fund my education? (My parents are not rich)

I'm not sure if its worth starting the AACOMAS application, as I have work, volunteering and the DAT to study for.

I also would have difficulty finding a physician for a letter of reference in time (the deadline to apply is Oct 31 for priority status)

However, if I wasn't accepted to any Canadian schools, I wouldn't mind practicing medicine in the states.

I would rather attend a DO school, than to have to reapply next year to all other US MD schools and wait another year.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

Well, with your current stats, even if it wasn't in the priority pool, you would easily get into a DO school *somewhere*. Yes you can get LOC from Canadian banks for going to a US DO school. Look at their prereq and see if they want a MD or DO letter, you can get away with a MD letter if that is what you want. But it is up to you to get a LOR from a doctor whether MD or DO.

Well, with your current stats, even if it wasn't in the priority pool, you would easily get into a DO school *somewhere*. Yes you can get LOC from Canadian banks for going to a US DO school. Look at their prereq and see if they want a MD or DO letter, you can get away with a MD letter if that is what you want. But it is up to you to get a LOR from a doctor whether MD or DO.

I got this email too today, is it not too late in the game to apply though? I thought applications have been going on since June, does this mean there is still a reasonable shot for me to get in if I applied soon? 9/9/9 MCAT, 3.4 cgpa, 3.33 sgpa (2 bachelors, 3.1 in 1st one, 4.0 in second one; 1st author pub, poster presentations, lots of research, worked as a medical assistant - lots of shadowing, etc..)

I got this email too today, is it not too late in the game to apply though? I thought applications have been going on since June, does this mean there is still a reasonable shot for me to get in if I applied soon? 9/9/9 MCAT, 3.4 cgpa, 3.33 sgpa (2 bachelors, 3.1 in 1st one, 4.0 in second one; 1st author pub, poster presentations, lots of research, worked as a medical assistant - lots of shadowing, etc..)

Much better to have applied in June. But, it's impossible to tell whether you'll get any interviews or not without trying.

Archived