Premed 101 Forums

Western's Language Requirement!?!

Hello,

For Western University, both on the ORPAS booklet and on the website it states: If English is not your first language you will need to have done one of the following... then it goes on to list TOFEL and other tests.

English is not my first language (as in I wasn't born in Canada), but I've been here for over 10 years and I've done both high school and University here. Do I seriously have to take a TOFEL test?

Don't freak out just yet. Most schools will let you wave the TOEFL/MELAB/IELTS if you attended a high school and/or post secondary institution in which the primary language of instruction was English. Now, I can't say for sure that this will be the case, but I recommend you speak to or email somebody in admissions for more information. I believe these types of language tests are more for international applicants who may have never attended a school in which English was the primary language of instruction.

Bottom line - if you attended both high school and university in Canada and all (or almost all) of your classes were in English, you should be ok. Just confirm with the admissions office first. I don't want you to not take a test if they have some silly policy that says you are required to.

Don't freak out just yet. Most schools will let you wave the TOEFL/MELAB/IELTS if you attended a high school and/or post secondary institution in which the primary language of instruction was English. Now, I can't say for sure that this will be the case, but I recommend you speak to or email somebody in admissions for more information. I believe these types of language tests are more for international applicants who may have never attended a school in which English was the primary language of instruction.

Bottom line - if you attended both high school and university in Canada and all (or almost all) of your classes were in English, you should be ok. Just confirm with the admissions office first. I don't want you to not take a test if they have some silly policy that says you are required to.

I did confirm it and you were right. The lady said that because I did my university here I don't have to do it

Archived