Premed 101 Forums

How Many Interviews Should We Do?

carazadie

Now that CaRMS apps are done, it's time to move on to worrying about the interviews  :P

Just kidding, but I am truly wondering how many interviews I should be doing. Having applied to ten separate programs, I am starting to realize that ten interviews (all in different cities) is going to be pretty cray. I am trying to decide on an optimal number of interviews that will leave me with a good chance of matching, but also with enough sanity to interview well.

For reference, I am applying to urban FM, including most of the more competitive programs. 

Any thoughts based on past experience would be greatly appreciated. 

People applying across the country for a competitive specialty + backup could easily have more than 10 interviews. Just allow enough time for travel (no more than one interview per day, and expect that most of your time in each city will be CaRMS-related). It may be tiring by the end, but that should be balanced out by the increased experience/confidence you'll have after multiple interviews. At the least, I would see how the initial interviews go before thinking about cancelling any.

My advice would be to take as many interviews as you can reasonably do.

Last year, I took more than 10 interviews. I had to reschedule some because of conflicts, which meant that I interviewed before the official interview period had begun in some instances. The only interviews I turned down were those where I could not possibly work out the schedule (e.g., when I had to be at opposite ends of the country on the same day) and where programs were not willing to reschedule to another day. It was exhausting, but I don't regret it.

I wouldn't second guess the outcome in advance and I would do my best to accept all invitations. In theory, I could have 8 interviews and where invited, I shall attend.

any resident will know of a few people with multiple invites like this and still didn't match. CARMS is a strange, strange beast and over caution is probably wise. I would never personal turn down any offer of an interview unless I would rather go unmatched than go to that school. This is for all the marbles after all - end game. 

Calgary Psychiatry has Calgary applicants interview prior to the official period as well.

I strongly recommend attending as many interviews as possible. Yes it is costly, and the travelling can be a significant challenge (I did the cross country trip twice as I was interviewing in two specialties) but I was still able to make it happen and I am sure glad that I did!! Places I would have never considered went up much higher on my rank list, other "dream" schools dropped. Similarly, if you're trying to decide between specialties you need exposure to many different interviews/locations to help sort out your choice. Even re-visiting the same site for a different specialty, I found there was definitely a different flavour. There were locations that I really wanted for one specialty but did not even consider ranking for the other specialty.

It is a fascinating time...use it to your advantage, and of course, have fun while you're at it! Lots of social events and you make friends on the tour that you see again and again all over the country. It helps immensely when it comes to sharing cabs and finding rides! :)

Go to as many as possible! I actually learnt a lot about the different programs while I was on the tour. You get a chance to ask residents how they like their program and see if you think it's a good fit for how you'd like to train. My rank list definitely changed based on interviews. Don't let things like flight or hotel costs be your deciding factor... you will be making a doctor's salary one day!

• 2 weeks later...

I did 9 in total and some of those were IM. The problem with FM interviews is that they are exhausting and anything but fun. A lot of them feel like conferences where a lot of stuff you hear you have no interest in. A case in point comes from the McMaster one where you get to sit and hear about EVERY single stream, some of which you don't really care at all. The smaller programs in other specialties tend to be a lot more fun whereas in family there's so many people you can't do much less than a giant conference hall. And often there's a lack of meaningful fun social events for the same reason.

People that say CARMS was fun probably only applied to non-FM.

Archived