Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

Time stamp: 1:48pm EST

Interview date: 

Result: Invite

GPA: 90%

MCAT: Above required

ECs: Started a few undergraduate faculty/university wide organizations (1 of which was high endeavour), no pubs, worked with refugee youths, mental health clinic, lots of awards, lots of poster presentations, some clinical shadowing as well. 

Year: 2nd year MSc

Geography: OOP

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result: Reject Dec 2014

AGPA: 86.66

MCAT:10 v/09ps/12bio

EC's: ecology field research volunteering  (in uni - OLD), teach kids at environmental ed (in uni - OLD),  sexual health clinic volunteer (5 months), board member of city advisory committee 3 years, founding member of not for profit wildlife conservation society (500++ hours), lots of outdoor rec and wilderness experience with avalanche safety and rescue certifications, yoga/art/mtb. biking/skiing/wilderness adventure/travel as interests. No music, and I'm not a high achiever in any particular EC. Work primarily as a wildlife technician/bio for 14 years as a contractor and for government, and some avalanche technician/ski guide work.

Research: One pub as co-author in quality journal. Lots of grey lit, but that doesn't count.

Year: BSc in 2000

Geography: IP

NAQ 24.38

AQ 27.14

TFR 51.52

Awards: nothing special, open scholarships.

Congrats to those that got an interview and good luck! 

I'm looking for some advice. I'm an older applicant (late 30s),  I worked as a contractor for 10 years, so I maxed out the employment section. I'm not sure this was a good idea. I gave excruciating detail on the hours of each contract. But I wonder if it would have been better to lump it into one entry.

For EC's: This process is undoubtedly making me a better person! I'm taking a long hard look at how I spend my time, and how little volunteering I've done. I've found some volunteer opportunities I didn't know existed, and which I really enjoy. I know I need more social volunteering, and I am working on that. My volunteer success is to help form a conservation not-for-profit. I listed it as one entry for the NAQ but, I'm co-project managing, doing grunt work, I'm the president of the board, and was a founding member. Should I stretch the rules and break this out into more than one category? 

I left multiple NAQ entries empty. Should I have split rather than clumped? Is it even possible to increase my NAQ score in one year?

Finally, I'm considering re-writing the MCAT OR I could take psych/sociology and finish off the Orgo 2 I still need to do. This might net me a AGPA increase to 87 or max 87.5. Don't think I can pull-off both.  

Any advice you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you! 

• 4 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: 10:48am December 4th, 2014
Interview Date: February 7th, 8:45am
Result: Invite
GPA: 86% 
MCAT: 8/10/9 (Horrible, I know... I had a concussion while writing it.)
ECs: President of undergraduate honours society, vice president of undergraduate psychology honours society, research experience (paid and unpaid), team leader with Canadian Blood Service, coaching and sports, tutoring undergraduate students (paid and unpaid), planning many events related to mental health and disease awareness, and caregiving for my grandmother when she had Alzheimer's.
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Year: Finished UG
Geography: IP

• 2 weeks later...

It was so fun meeting all of you at interviews! Congratulations on making it through the MMI! :)

To bide away the nerve-wracking time (oh yes, we all went through it, we feel your pain!) until you get your results in May, here is the lipdub we played for you at the interviews. Enjoy, and good luck!

Archived