Premed 101 Forums

Applying To U Of A Pt Program With An Unrelated Degree

Hi all!

I'm hoping I can get some insights and experiences from anyone who's applied to a PT program (particularly U of A) coming from a completely different background with an unrelated degree.

I have a MSc in Audiology with 8 years of experience in rehabilitative hearing health care, but I’m looking for a career change and am interested in physiotherapy at U of A. I graduated in 2006, with a GPA of about 3.7 based on my last 60 credits (although this may be off depending on how the credit cutoff will work, as my program included practicums/coursework that didn’t issue grades or credits, just a pass/fail requirement).

I hopefully may be able to get credit for some of prerequisite courses based on equivalents I took in undergrad (BA in Psych) at U of C, such as English and Stats (although this was back in 1st year, where I did NOT know what I was doing and thus did not do so well…). I emailed U of A to find out if these courses are accepted equivalents.

I still need some anatomy & physiology classes as well as some volunteer experience (I have tons of experience working with a geriatric population in my clinical practice, but my current job doesn’t involve direct patient contact, so I haven’t worked with patients for about 5 years now).

U of A doesn't seem to specify the type of background they’re looking for in applicants, just that “Completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree or its academic equivalent in any field of study from an accredited post-secondary institution is required.” I will certainly need take some classes to meet the prerequisites (and boost my GPA, as I get the impression that any PT program is super-competitive), but given that my degree is from an unrelated field, do I even stand a chance?

Hi btc2014, 

I just finished my 1st semester in UofA PT and my degree is completely out of the science realm. The program is just under half kinesiology people, and the rest are from completely different backgrounds: business, finance, psychology, law, nursing, immunology, fine arts and more. You should definitely apply, don't worry about your background at all. When they say any, they mean any. The first semester is a bit tough without a biomechanics/physiology background (which I don't have at all!!) but it's completely doable! By Christmas, everybody's caught up and we're on a level playing field.  

If you have any other questions about UofA feel free to PM me! 

Thanks, ITRoller! That's very reassuring to know that PT students come from all backgrounds. I've been out of school for so long that I am struggling to get back into the right mindset, get all my ducks in a row so I can apply in 2016 (and hopefully get in)!

Congrats on surviving your 1st semester! :D

Hi btc2014, 

I just finished my 1st semester in UofA PT and my degree is completely out of the science realm. The program is just under half kinesiology people, and the rest are from completely different backgrounds: business, finance, psychology, law, nursing, immunology, fine arts and more. You should definitely apply, don't worry about your background at all. When they say any, they mean any. The first semester is a bit tough without a biomechanics/physiology background (which I don't have at all!!) but it's completely doable! By Christmas, everybody's caught up and we're on a level playing field.  

Hi btc2014, 

Interesting, so I wont be the only one coming from finance then? That is shocking. What is the average age of students? Are most people hopping in right after undergrad or are there quite a few career shifters in the class?

There are quite a few people coming straight in after undergrad, but about half of us are "career shifters" (good term btw!). The youngest I think is 21 and the oldest is early 40s. Most people are between 23-30. There are a few people who already have Master's degrees in other fields too. 

• 1 month later...

Archived