Premed 101 Forums

Alberta Family Med

tomweaver

interesting, I applied to U of T and alberta and got straight up invite from U of T but waitlisted for alberta :(

My understanding is U of T sends a mass e-mail for invitations and they screen primarily after people accept interviews since so many people apply initially....I believe they also rank you before you even interview....so I think it is actually easier to get an interview at U of T

U of A probably screens more closely before they send out an invitation

My understanding is U of T sends a mass e-mail for invitations and they screen primarily after people accept interviews since so many people apply initially....I believe they also rank you before you even interview....so I think it is actually easier to get an interview at U of T

U of A probably screens more closely before they send out an invitation

I have an interview at U of A urban but was rejected from Toronto and I bleed family med on my application.  Not sure about the lack of initial screening as you mention.

I have an interview at U of A urban but was rejected from Toronto and I bleed family med on my application.  Not sure about the lack of initial screening as you mention.

Yeah well every application is unique....maybe you were an IMG, maybe you never did an elective at U of T, maybe you are a U of A student so it was easier to get an invite from U of A, red flags,....i don't know... the mystery continues

Yeah well every application is unique....maybe you were an IMG, maybe you never did an elective at U of T, maybe you are a U of A student so it was easier to get an invite from U of A, red flags,....i don't know... the mystery continues

CMG, U of C Student.  MSRP was strong.  Red flags... I doubt it unless I seriously misjudged one of my referees.

I think everyone is right. Every application is unique. I think what did me in was Im USMG and a Non-Alberta resident (Im from Toronto). Im an average student so I think the U of T invite was due to my strong U of T focus (lots of electives there, research, good letters). I did a psych elective at Ualberta but didnt get love from there. 

Its all about the personal letter, people grossly under estimate the importance of this. Its really your only chance to stand out and its important to make a case for each program. If you failed to do this then you just kind of fall into the crowd. Everyone has good marks, good letters, good MSRP, its all about the PL and how much time you put into the CV on the carms application.

Its all about the personal letter, people grossly under estimate the importance of this. Its really your only chance to stand out and its important to make a case for each program. If you failed to do this then you just kind of fall into the crowd. Everyone has good marks, good letters, good MSRP, its all about the PL and how much time you put into the CV on the carms application.

Perhaps but at the same time, I have heard from previous assessors that the personal letters all start looking the same pretty quickly, especially when there are specific questions to be be addressed in the letter with a maximum word limit.  I do agree that the CV is critical.  By the way, is the critical thinking portion of the interview something new to the U of A? 

Archived