Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill French?

carms2015

Although it is a English school and all instruction is in English probably a large percentage > 40% of patients will be francophone so speaking freak would be instrumental for your ability to communicate and build rappore with your patients. I would not let that be a limitation when applying but if I get into McGill I will be studying French on a daily basis I can tell you that much. 

This really depends where you are and the specialty you're applying to. Are you applying to a specialty with minimal patient contact or one with lots of patient contact? Montreal is very diverse, with large numbers of other ethnic groups. Lots of Francophones are bilingual and can speak English too. It's not unlike any other major city where for many people, English is a second language. There are other sites in rural Quebec where spoken and written French is a necessity which would bar you from applying in the first place, e.g. Vallée de l'Or for family medicine.

There is a significant amount of patients that are Francophone. That being said, there are many residents from the Middle East/USA/ROC that don't speak french fluently. There are classes in medical french that are given free of charge by McGill during your training. 

Archived