Premed 101 Forums

Grad degree in the US?

Guest haikuguy

Guest haikuguy

Anybody out there applied to a US med school with a Master's or a Ph.D.?

I have a Master's in Microbiology, got rejected this year by 4/5 schools in Canada before interview (still waiting for U of T).

I would like to hear some opinions on this if possible...

Cheers!

Guest jaegwon

Hey haiku,

I applied this year to both Canada and the States. I have an MSc from '04. So far I've only received a Queen's interview in Canada. I have a 32 MCAT.

I applied late (finished secondaries in Oct) to about 10 US schools. I think that hurt me a fair bit. I got one interview, at SUNY Upstate, and am on their high priority alternate list. In previous years 50-100% of people on this list were offered a spot.

I think if you pick the right range of US schools to apply to, you can increase your chances of gaining admittance somewhere significantly. The real downside is the cost of going south. If you do go this route, my advice is to get a copy of the MSAR book and to apply early.

Good luck!

I have an MSc and nearly done a PhD. My undergrad gpa was 3.60 (OMSAS) and MCAT 36Q. I got 6 interviews in Canada this year (UBC, UofA, UofM, Western, Queens, McGill) with 3 still schools still to let me know and 1 rejection to UofC (though I'd be shocked if I got an interview to Mac). I also got 4 interviews in the US (Harvard, Stanford, WashU and Columbia) and 3 rejections (Hopkins, Penn and Duke).

My feeling is that you have a better chance as a grad applicant in the US if you apply to mid teir schools and about equal if you apply to top tier ones. Many Canadian schools have graduate sub-committees which make it much easier for us to get interviews than undergrads.

Archived