Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine Program Competitiveness

Can anyone (i.e. resident) comment on which family medicine residencies are most competitive and least competitive. It is not practical for me to attend all interviews since I received interviews from every program except Northern, Laval, Newfoundland.

I would like to attend interviews at several "safety" schools to ensure I successfully match (if such safety schools exist) Thanks

I can't speak to competitiveness of various programs, but I do think that unless there's something wrong with your application, you're doing pretty okay with that number of interviews. Interview at the programs that interest you, as many as is practical, and then rank accordingly.

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't want to suffer through a program that I didn't like in a city I didn't want to live in, just because I wanted a "safe" option.

Can anyone comment whether any FM programs use MMI as their interview format (sorry if the answer is available online as I can't seem to find it).

They j n dicate which ones ard mmi in the intefview invitation

? They all say how manh pol inte r vies you and time lenght I th I n km only alberta schools are mmi correct if erong

Can anyone comment whether any FM programs use MMI as their interview format (sorry if the answer is available online as I can't seem to find it). 

I haven't heard of any FM programs using MMI as an interview format. I attended a handful of FM interviews last year, and from talking to friends who also interviewed for FM, no one seemed to have had to do MMI. They're all panel format, with either one or two interviewers in the room.

St. Paul's Hospital Family Medicine at UBC is the most competitive program in the country. Some of the sites at U of T (St. Mike's, Sinai, TWH) are probably almost as competitive, but at U of T you match to the school first and there's a second match for the site, so the program as a whole isn't as competitive as St. Paul's. 

Hard to say which is the least competitive program…there's plenty of rural programs that regularly don't fill.

I can't speak to competitiveness of various programs, but I do think that unless there's something wrong with your application, you're doing pretty okay with that number of interviews. Interview at the programs that interest you, as many as is practical, and then rank accordingly.

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't want to suffer through a program that I didn't like in a city I didn't want to live in, just because I wanted a "safe" option.

Yeah but that would only happen if you failed to match everywhere else by definition (as you would rake your less desired options last). So the the question is whether you would rather go unmatched completely than spend two years in a city/program you didn't like as much.

Archived