Premed 101 Forums

timeline for acceptances at US vs Canadian schools

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

Next year I intend to apply to about 4 schools in Ontario, and about 5 schools in the US. I know that Ontario schools all wait until sometime in May to start notifying applicants about acceptances. But, US schools do the whole rolling admissions thing.

My question is, if you were to get accepted to a school in the US, how much time do you usually have to make a decision? What happens if you find out later that you're accepted to a school in Ontario that you'd rather go to? Has this happened to any of you?

Guest thatuvicguy

When I was accepted to a US school in December last year it cost me $1000 US to hold my spot. When I got accepted to a Canadian school, this money was sadly forfeited but it was well worth it for knowing I would be going somewhere no matter what.

It is worth considering if you would rather do another round of applications in Canada before taking a spot in the States as I know of several folk who blew a few bucks applying/interviewing in the States & then decided to wait it out another year in Canada. Something to think about.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

I think US schools give you 2 weeks to accept the offer. You have to place a deposit to hold your seat. You can decline the offer later on if you're accepted to a Canadian school.

Madz

Archived