Premed 101 Forums

Kinda Screwed Up, What Should I Do?

moneyking

10 VR isn't high. If you had a 11 VR you would have gotten an interview from McMaster, Calgary, and Western (depending on your other scores). The key to get into Canadian Medical schools is to get a 11 VR, if you ever hit that you will eventually get in assuming you have a decent GPA.

Not true - don't be so absolute about it. Plenty of people have gotten rejected with an 11 VR from Mac. And Western with a cutoff of 12 BS? That's definitely not easy either. 

Calgary also isn't auto-interview with an 11 VR, they're an EC heavy school.

Yes, a good MCAT is important, but it may not be wise to tell people an 11 will get them in. 

To be frank, I can see why the OP is concerned. A 3.78 is a good GPA, especially without trying. But at the same time, let's take in the fact that he has no chances at Toronto or Ottawa with that GPA (which is basically the only hope for people with poor verbal scores), and given his lack of ECs, next to none at Queens.

He leaves his entire application up to a good MCAT score. 

Just be aware of that. Your marks are good but they're not amazing, and some schools want amazing. 

Keep looking forward. 

To be frank, I can see why the OP is concerned. A 3.78 is a good GPA, especially without trying. But at the same time, let's take in the fact that he has no chances at Toronto or Ottawa with that GPA (which is basically the only hope for people with poor verbal scores), and given his lack of ECs, next to none at Queens.

Just be aware of that. Your marks are good but they're not amazing, and some schools want amazing. 

Keep looking forward. 

Thank you for the information. Well I calculated that if i get 4.0's in my next 3 terms, then I'd have a cgpa of 3.88, and wgpa of 3.94 for queens and uoft. That's my goal as of now to be as competitive as possible(not sure how realistic it is lol). What do you guys think? 

I also calculated that if i get 4.0 this term, my cgpa for past 2 years will be 3.82. Do you think that will be enough if I land a good mcat?

Thank you for all the help, greatly appreciated!

Keep looking forward. 

I second that.

Archived