Premed 101 Forums

Chances For Ontario Schools?

Hi, I am looking to apply to UWO and U of T.

I'm currently in the 2nd semester of my 3rd year at UWO.

My first two years, my average was 89.9% and my GPA was 3.935. So far I'm doing okay in the last semester (I have gotten 3 out of 4 of my final grades back and they are all above 90.) 

I haven't written the DAT yet, will do that soon. I am not worried about it though. 

I don't think canadian schools care very much about this but I've done a research internship and shadowed two dentists, all of whom are more than willing to write me reference letters. I'm also pretty close to one faculty member who I am pretty sure would be okay with writing me a reference letter too.

I just want to know what my chances are because I feel like my % is really average and not competitive for UWO (or at least, it wont be competitive in the cycle I apply). I think my GPA is okay for U of T but I want to bring it up anyway. I've always been worried about my GPA killing my chances, you know?

I've started looking in American schools recently but my cGPA and sGPA under those calculations are abysmally low so I really just want to get an interview at a school in province and work really, really hard to kill the interview. Help?

If you maintain your current marks and do well on the DAT and interview, you'll have a great chance at U of T and Western. However, I noticed that you said "3 out of 4" final marks. Does this mean you weren't taking a full courseload? Western applies a slight penalty for this, whereas U of T doesn't care. It looks like your % average of your best two years will be 90+ though, so I still think you'll be fine.

No, I am taking a full course load but I am taking one full year course and we haven't had any assessments in it yet which is why I said 4.

Thanks for your reply though! Do you think GPA matter very much after the interview? Does anyone here know if I'm competitive for any decent American schools? I haven't gotten to calculating my AADSAS GPA properly because my grades appear as a % on my transcript as oppose to a letter grade but I don't think it'll be as bad as I thought. How competitive is it for Canadian applicants? Are there any schools I should look at in particular?

No, I am taking a full course load but I am taking one full year course and we haven't had any assessments in it yet which is why I said 4.

Thanks for your reply though! Do you think GPA matter very much after the interview? Does anyone here know if I'm competitive for any decent American schools? I haven't gotten to calculating my AADSAS GPA properly because my grades appear as a % on my transcript as oppose to a letter grade but I don't think it'll be as bad as I thought. How competitive is it for Canadian applicants? Are there any schools I should look at in particular?

Okay, then your chances for Ontario schools should be very high. Study hard for the DAT and prepare well for the interview when you get the invites. And yes, GPA still matters after the interview. The only exception I am aware of is UBC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, since I only applied to U of T and Western. I also didn't apply to American schools, so unfortunately I can't help you there. Good luck!

I didn't apply to American schools either... but from what I know, Case Western and NYU have taken a reasonable number of Canadian applicants over the years.  Make sure you apply to the American schools early because they generally have rolling applications. 

As DDS_HELPFUL said, your marks are solid for UofT and Western applications... anything 20 and above on DAT sections is fine and make sure to focus on the interview... it is very important, especially at Western (about 250 are interviewed for just over 50 seats).  Good luck!

Archived