Premed 101 Forums

Secondary for UCLAs

Guest Parii

Hi there,

I got secondaries for UCLA-Davis and David Geffen and they are due 1st week of January. I just started working on them; and am overwhelmed by the details and length of these applications.... No Xmas break for me for sure....

I have a question about whether I should be including any references (people's address/phone # to contact) for particular questions. For example, there is a questions in David Geffen: "What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?" Do I need to add any contacts? There is a 800-character limit and I am really struggling to accommodate that...

Apologies if this question has been asked already.

Thank you very much,

parii.

PS. Since this is the very first time I am filling applications to US schools, I would be grateful for any tips and suggestions, especially because I have a pretty bad MCAT (a 7 in VR!!) and average GPA (3.65).

Thank you again.

Thank you YOCHI1543 for your comment. There is one question that I keep struggling with: How do you want to be remembered at the end of your life?

I have spent way too much time on this one and can not come up with any ways to approach this question. All the possible answers (i.e. peaceful, making a difference etc) that come to my mind are so typical and unoriginal.

I would really and greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you all and happy holidays to you,

parii

Guest Jochi1543

It's "J"ochi, not "Y"ochi.:P

Well, the key is to give your OWN answer, not the answer you think sounds good, etc. To be honest, I haven't given this question much thought - I personally don't care how I'm remembered as long as it's not as somebody who killed 50 people or something awful like that. But I find it interesting that the actual application process can give you insight into yourself. If you think about it and your real, personal answer to this question is indeed "peaceful" or whatever else you think is banal, just go ahead and write it in - it doesn't matter if you think it's unoriginal or not if it's the truth.

Once again, thank you 'Y'ochi... oops Jochi1543.

I see your point and I do agree with you. I still find it quite difficult to formulate an answer that really captures what I want from my entire life in a few sentences. I suppose, and as you suggested, it is because I never have given this any serious thinking time yet….

Are you still working on your applications?

Parii

Guest Jochi1543

I'm applying this coming year, Parii. But since all my friends are out of town now and I'm bored to death, plus I'll have a very busy summer, I started doing some work already - compiling lists of ECs, etc, so I don't have to waste time on it later.

Yeah, I know what you mean about short answers that are supposed to encompass everything. I remember when I was applying to a private high school, they asked me to describe myself in 5 adjectives. English is not my first language, and I wasn't as fluent in it back then as I am now, so I was really afraid of using some adjective that had some sort of secondary meaning I wasn't aware of.:rollin Or, I participated in a little research project a few weeks ago that asked me to describe myself in the classroom and with friends - in one word. Boy, that wasn't easy!:x

Good luck with UCLA!

Archived