Premed 101 Forums

Missed Reference Forms

Hi everyone, 

I applied for PT at UWO, McMaster and Uof T and somehow I assumed my references would be contacted directly to fill out reference forms so I did not print out the forms till today January 14 which means that they will be super late. I know Mac does not require references but how badly do you think it will affect my UWO and Uof T application? I still cannot figure out why I never hit the print button. I just assumed it printed exactly what I had put in the application. Really worried. If U of T and UWO won't consider my app, then am only left with McGill and Mac. 

I do not speak French. Do you think it will hurt my chances of getting into McGill? Please help.

Last year my reference letters got sent in the day of the deadline, which means they were delivered late. I still received an interview from Toronto and was waitlisted. So for any chance at all I would have your references send in their letters IMMEDIATELY and hope that ORPAS will still include them and send them to schools for you. I called today about a form I sent them and they said they still have a lot of mail to sift through, so you may still have a chance.

It's a bit worrisome considering that your referees still need to fill out the forms and write the letter and mail it off. Do your referees seem like they'll have time to send them ASAP? The good news is that the deadline for transcripts is January 30th so they probably won't send off their packages to thee universities until then.

I contacted UofT earlier last week as I was also concerned about my references being late. They told me that ORPAS does not send them the completed application till February so I have time until end of January to get them to ORPAS and they do not care if they are late as they will not be looking at applications till sometime in February. 

However, I have no idea about Queens. Hope this helps.

P.S. I also contacted ORPAS and they told me they will be forwarding whatever they receive to the Universities regardless of the date. All they do is place a time stamp on the reference.

I contacted UofT earlier last week as I was also concerned about my references being late. They told me that ORPAS does not send them the completed application till February so I have time until end of January to get them to ORPAS and they do not care if they are late as they will not be looking at applications till sometime in February.

However, I have no idea about Queens. Hope this helps.

P.S. I also contacted ORPAS and they told me they will be forwarding whatever they receive to the Universities regardless of the date. All they do is place a time stamp on the reference.

I spoke with ORPAS yesterday and asked this out of curiosity because my course descriptions weren't processed til after the weekend. She told me about the time stamps too, but I'm not sure how universities deal with time stamps that are late. I agree with you, I know UoT has a grace period with late stamped references but not sure about other schools. OP you may want to individually contact each one you applied to

ORPAS makes copies of the reference letters for us, right? To send to each university that requires them?

Haha, answering my own question (from the ORPAS FAQ):

"How many copies of my reference forms are required?

Only one copy of a reference form is required from each referee. ORPAS will make all necessary copies for the schools."

Last year my reference letters got sent in the day of the deadline, which means they were delivered late. I still received an interview from Toronto and was waitlisted. So for any chance at all I would have your references send in their letters IMMEDIATELY and hope that ORPAS will still include them and send them to schools for you. I called today about a form I sent them and they said they still have a lot of mail to sift through, so you may still have a chance.

Thanks PTapplic. Am hopeful. At least Mcmaster does not require references so am good there. 

It's a bit worrisome considering that your referees still need to fill out the forms and write the letter and mail it off. Do your referees seem like they'll have time to send them ASAP? The good news is that the deadline for transcripts is January 30th so they probably won't send off their packages to thee universities until then.

Yes I figured. I just hope the fact that I downloaded them late does not affect me. My referees promised to send them off on monday and I will go and make sure. I will even take the sealed envelope and mail it if need be. It will definitely be there by the end of next week

I spoke with ORPAS yesterday and asked this out of curiosity because my course descriptions weren't processed til after the weekend. She told me about the time stamps too, but I'm not sure how universities deal with time stamps that are late. I agree with you, I know UoT has a grace period with late stamped references but not sure about other schools. OP you may want to individually contact each one you applied to

Thank you. That is one less school to worry about. Much appreciated.

Archived