Premed 101 Forums

Aboriginal Girl Passes Away

xcon2run

• 5 weeks later...

Update: the spa owner guy got fined for practicing medicine without a license... naturopathic medicine that is
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/24/owner-of-florida-health-spa-treating-aboriginal-girls-ordered-to-cease-practising.html

This quote:

“In November of 2014, you (Brian Clement) was reportedly representing yourself as a medical doctor (advertising that you are a naturopathic medical doctor [NMD]) without being licensed with Florida Department of Health. It was also reported that two minor children with leukemia were treated by or are being treated by you with unproven and possibly dangerous therapies.”

I don't understand. The presence or absence of a license for a non-evidence based practice is the pertinent factor here, not the evidence basedness itself?? 

So if he was licensed then he'd be a medical doctor and it'd be legal because... suddenly his therapy becomes "proven"? Doesn't legality have to flow from reality, not the other way around? How would the outcome of this case be any different if he was licensed in naturopathy?! 

Sadly, you don't need to look as far as Florida to find quacks - look at College of Naturopathy in Ontario posting misinformation about vaccines, and promoting worthless "natural" vaccines. Even worse, a quack employed by Department of Kinesiology and Health Science at Queen lectures against vaccines using entirely unscientific but persuasive arguments (there was a thread on this subject several days ago).

No wonder people (parents) are getting confused what is good for their children and what is not.

This shit's gonna give me hypertension. As far as I'm concerned, this girl's blood is on hands, her parents' included. 

Agreed. Something needs to be done to prevent this from occurring in the future. It's so, so sad and I think about it a lot. 

Sure, I respect patients' personal choices to some alternative medicine but I lost it at pollen and quinoa burgers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/03/02/aboriginal-girls-visits-to-florida-centre-sparked-undercover-probe.html

I wonder if the actual burger was a specific part of the treatment or would any quinoa in any food product/shape do the job?

Hard hitting evidence based medicine right here.

This is definitely a tough case to override because you have BOTH the mother and the child refusing chemo. You would have to prove incompetence in both of them which I think would be quite difficult. I think the fact that there is an "Aboriginal/traditional healing method" angle to the whole thing makes it even worse, good luck trying to claim child abuse in this situation. This case would need heavy counsel from the aboriginal community (ie. elders/real Aboriginal healers). 

In future cases as this, I think it may be necessary for legit Aboriginal healers to defend or reject a claim for traditional healing via cultural practices. In the case that there is a rejection to the claim, it may be necessary for Children's Aid Services to take the child away. A real tough case for sure. 

The point  is that adults can choose any treatment they wish, in a hospital or by a quack with his burgers. While misinformation or beliefs or pure ignorance might skew their choices, adults are still  in a position to find all they can and make their decision.  But children? Would a child  "choose" suffering and pain related to the ultimately beneficial treatment? It's parent's responsibility  to do everything they can to protect their child life.  And if they don't,  the society should step in, through children protection agencies, courts etc. And it happens, e.g. blood transfusion for Jehowah Witness's children. But all failed this girl. And her alternative was not a "native" treatment but a quack in Florida.  It's unspeakably sad that  she was allowed to die, especially that her chances for recovery were high.  

Archived