Premed 101 Forums

Negotiating Locum Contracts In The Community

hi guys, 

wondering if any of my seniors can shed some light on negotiating pay wrt locum contracts? 

i've read online that locums can expect to be paid 600-800$ per day. is this true? if so, can i just 'demand' from the nice person who is offering me a locum tenens to be paid that much?!

i've always felt unprepared when it comes to money discussions... :/ 

thx for the help! 

ps. i'm wondering mostly about family practice locums. but any and all locum contract discussions are welcome. 

hi guys, 

wondering if any of my seniors can shed some light on negotiating pay wrt locum contracts? 

i've read online that locums can expect to be paid 600-800$ per day. is this true? if so, can i just 'demand' from the nice person who is offering me a locum tenens to be paid that much?!

i've always felt unprepared when it comes to money discussions... :/ 

thx for the help! 

ps. i'm wondering mostly about family practice locums. but any and all locum contract discussions are welcome. 

Obviously I can't comment on the challenges negotiating locum contracts, me being many years away from having to do that, but $600-800 a day isn't actually that much for a physician - about average for some specialties and low for others. Heck, I used to make $250 a day doing a job that, while still earning me a very decent wage, had nowhere near the earning potential of a physician.

Family medicine locums will obviously vary in income. Firstly, there's a difference between getting a daily pre-set diem rate vs. a split model. Also, factors like getting money for letters / forms makes a difference.

On average, most locums in a town setting will pay $800-1000 daily. If the area is very competitive (e.g. downtown city with lots of doctors floating around) then $700-800 is more realistic. It will be quite challenging to negotitate for higher rates unless you have something to bring to the table (e.g.- I'm great at billing, so I can increase your income by 10%. Or, I've been practicing for 5 years, so I am more experienced and deserve a bit more).

Yeah, I'd speak to a few people in the GP field who have been out on their own and try to get a feel for what their daily billings are before agreeing to something like that. I'm not sure about what the average daily take for family is, but if that was an anesthesia offer, I'd tell them to shove it!

Don't forget to negotiate the "extras" (if possible) that a locum would entail, such as a stipend for showing up every day, a billings floor (even better if you can negotiate a deal that guarantees you a minimum amount per day plus allows you to keep all of your billings above and beyond said floor), travel expenses (ie: airfare, rental car, gas and hotel) and time spent getting to your location of work. You're not a jerk for asking about these things- medicine is at the end of the day a business and you are just looking out for yourself! It shows that you have thought these things over in advance and that you are not a total noob (even if you are! ;)).

If they continue to give you static, then there are numerous recruiting agencies out there that can match you up with some totally decent locums, especially if you are willing to travel. I won't list any here, for fear of appearing biased, but a quick Google search will reveal these for you.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful for you! Happy locuming!

T-Max

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd speak to a few people in the GP field who have been out on their own and try to get a feel for what their daily billings are before agreeing to something like that. I'm not sure about what the average daily take for family is, but if that was an anesthesia offer, I'd tell them to shove it!

Don't forget to negotiate the "extras" (if possible) that a locum would entail, such as a stipend for showing up every day, a billings floor (even better if you can negotiate a deal that guarantees you a minimum amount per day plus allows you to keep all of your billings above and beyond said floor), travel expenses (ie: airfare, rental car, gas and hotel) and time spent getting to your location of work. You're not a jerk for asking about these things- medicine is at the end of the day a business and you are just looking out for yourself! It shows that you have thought these things over in advance and that you are not a total noob (even if you are! ;)).

If they continue to give you static, then there are numerous recruiting agencies out there that can match you up with some totally decent locums, especially if you are willing to travel. I won't list any here, for fear of appearing biased, but a quick Google search will reveal these for you.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful for you! Happy locuming!

T-Max

thanks for your help t-max! all great points to consider.  :) 

Archived