Premed 101 Forums

2015 Post Interview Discussion

Resident here and recent interviewer. 

Just so you guys know, the interview is worth a lot. I'm probably not allowed to break down the nitty gritty (so please don't ask) or else I'm sure Dr. Hanson would hunt me down....but the interview matters. I don't think so many of us would volunteer our Saturday/Sunday mornings, make you guys fly out from across Canada, and then take part in an elaborately organized interview....if it didn't matter a lot. Take that as you will. 

So that means that everyone who receives an interview has a decent shot at getting in, given a good showing at the interview? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends on what you mean by "mess up" a question. This is hard to tell... it depends on your response

It's pretty big if you say something that would reveal yourself to be unethical/doing medicine for totally the wrong reasons.  It's quite another to be just nervous and stumped by a question, and take extra time or just not having the most logical answer. 

Seeing as it was only one question of one interview, it shouldn't affect you that much IMO. Did that question take up a good portion of that interview? (like over 3 minutes of it?)

It wasn't that long, nor do I think I said anything unethical, but I forgot to discuss some key points relevant to the question. Sigh... It's going to be a long, painful wait until May 12. 

I walked out of my interview thinking it went super smoothly...but after a week I (unwillingly) started going over the details of the interview in my head and picking out things that maybe weren't so great, and the more I think about it, the worse I think the interview went...by this point I'm not even sure if it went well at all anymore haha 

I walked out of my interview thinking it went super smoothly...but after a week I (unwillingly) started going over the details of the interview in my head and picking out things that maybe weren't so great, and the more I think about it, the worse I think the interview went...by this point I'm not even sure if it went well at all anymore haha 

This was me in the moments during and following the interview:

During the interview: Wow, I'm really enjoying this!  :P

Right after the interview: Phew, that wasn't too bad! I think I did well!  :D Yay me

Got home: Uhhh .. wait did I really say that? And how could I forget to mention that?! Yikesssss  :confused:  :confused:

A while later: I'm not getting in! :(   

A few days later: Will I ever be a doctor?!!  :confused:

And later still: It couldn't be THAT bad.. 

and repeat all over again 

In all seriousness though: "You can't go listening to every ******* little voice in your head; you'll go nuts." 

This was me in the moments during and following the interview:

During the interview: Wow, I'm really enjoying this!  :P

Right after the interview: Phew, that wasn't too bad! I think I did well!  :D Yay me

Got home: Uhhh .. wait did I really say that? And how could I forget to mention that?! Yikesssss  :confused:  :confused:

A while later: I'm not getting in! :(   

A few days later: Will I ever be a doctor?!!  :confused:

And later still: It couldn't be THAT bad.. 

and repeat all over again 

In all seriousness though: "You can't go listening to every ******* little voice in your head; you'll go nuts." 

totally how I feel..except my cycle ends at "Will I ever be a doctor?" and currently stuck there... :(

totally how I feel..except my cycle ends at "Will I ever be a doctor?" and currently stuck there... :(

Aw, I know that feeling ... and I think most, if not all, pre-meds do too. You're not alone! The whole application process is a wild emotional roller coaster and the post-interview wait is arguably the least fun of it all. I've found it helpful to focus on non-med things for a while, like school (lol), hobbies, time with family, YouTube... Even working on your back-up plan is oddly therapeutic, as it will remind you that there is more to you than being an anxious pre-med! 

I am so stressed at this point  :mellow:

3 stations were great

1 was the worst thing imaginable/I imagine came off as really fake. For like ten minutes. Oh well.

I am also content with 3/4 stations ... One station is a bit of a toss-up, and I did beat myself up over the usual coulda/woulda/shoulda ... As much I obsess over it sometimes, I figure it's useless, not only because nothing can be done to fix it, but also because there's no way of knowing if the interviewer actually perceived it negatively. For all you know, the station you thought was the best didn't actually impress the interviewer that much and the one in which you were nervous, you said something unique/creative/honest/unscripted. And apparently, the interview at U of T isn't worth as much as it is at other schools and other bits of your application are still important in the final decision. Either way, there's no point stressing over the interview, because you'll never know how you did and even in the worst case scenario of a rejection, you won't know whether it was because of that one station or some other aspect of your app that was lacking. I recognize this is easier said than done, but this is what I remind myself when I'm particularly neurotic.

I am also content with 3/4 stations ... One station is a bit of a toss-up, and I did beat myself up over the usual coulda/woulda/shoulda ... As much I obsess over it sometimes, I figure it's useless, not only because nothing can be done to fix it, but also because there's no way of knowing if the interviewer actually perceived it negatively. For all you know, the station you thought was the best didn't actually impress the interviewer that much and the one in which you were nervous, you said something unique/creative. And apparently, the interview at U of T isn't worth as much as it is at other schools and other bits of your application are still important in the final decision. Either way, there's no point stressing over the interview, because you'll never know how you did and even in the worst case scenario of a rejection, you won't know whether it was because of that one station or some other aspect of your app that was lacking. I recognize this is easier said than done, but this is what I remind myself when I'm particularly neurotic.

^THIS! It's like a public service announcement in this thread! Its been so stressful and its hard to move on from that interview... and the thing about interviewers and myself having different opinions on what I did right/wrong is really important to remember! Thank you for typing this out. Made me feel much better!

^THIS! It's like a public service announcement in this thread! Its been so stressful and its hard to move on from that interview... and the thing about interviewers and myself having different opinions on what I did right/wrong is really important to remember! Thank you for typing this out. Made me feel much better!

No problem! Glad my post helped! Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to... Anyway, why waste so much time and energy stressing over something that might turn out well, right? And even if things don't work out on May 12th, it would be better to think objectively about how you can be more awesome for the next cycle rather than regretting anything you did this cycle. That being said, I do hope we get good news on that day - then we'll look back and laugh at our little worries. In the meantime, instead of kicking ourselves for not being perfect because we're human, we should pat ourselves on the back for getting and completing an interview to the best of our ability at an incredible medical school! Chin up and good luck.  :)

Less than 7 weeks left until Decision Day! How's everybody else feeling? All my interviews are done and I'm trying to be neutral, but it's hard not to be impatient and giddy and crazy and a whole gamut of other emotions until the big day arrives, because I no longer have control over anything in this process anymore! 

I know easier said than done, but thinking/worrying about the interview after the fact doesn't do you any good. Remember, having made it to the interview already means you have a better than 50% chance of acceptance - closer to 60% based on past years; last year, 336 offers were made to fill 259 spots. I say that only as a means to ease some of the nerves as you await May.

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

Archived