Premed 101 Forums

Any Advice???

Guest JAMIRA

Guest JAMIRA

Hello :)

I've been visiting this forum for quite a while now (but haven't posted much) and I just have to say that it is amazing! And since it is frequented by such helpful and knowledgeable people, I was hoping some of you would be willing to offer some much needed advice.

Here goes...

I graduated from Mac last year with a B.Sc. in Bio-Psych. My marks weren't bad (3.6 cGPA) and I've done lots of volunteer/ec activities, but I really messed up - How???? Well, in my first 3 years of undergrad, I took nine courses during the year and one in the summer. So because I have only one "full-time" year (4th), I am really limited in terms of where I can apply. I have been rejected from Mac twice (it is by far my first choice) so now I am considering writing the MCAT and applying elsewhere. But, to really up my chances, I think I should go back to school and perhaps do a second degree. This way, I can kill two birds with one stone...bring up my GPA and get one or two more full-time years under my belt so I can apply everywhere. Is this a wise idea or do med schools not look favourably upon someone who has done a second degree?

Also, I know it is different for each school, but maybe people could fill me in on whatever school they know about - If I did start a second degree, is it is possible to consider my fourth year of my first degree and my first year of my second degree as two of the required full time years, or once I start a second degree do I have to start from scratch?

(sorry if that was confusing). :\

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :D

Guest aneliz

Here is the scoop from the UWO perspective:

What you need: Minimum of TWO (2) full-time undergraduate years that were completed between Sept and April. These two years must include a minimum of 5.0 full or equivalent courses (5 full year courses or 10 half year courses or any combination of to equal 5.0 credits). These two years MUST be from the SAME degree and your GPA in EACH year must be above the cut off for the year in which you are applying (this year it's 3.70). As well, at least one of these years must have 3.0 credits that are 2nd year or above level courses.

You must also have MCAT scores that are above the UWO cuts for the year that you are applying (this year = 9,9,9,Q)

UWO really doesn't care if you have done 10 undergraduate degrees...but you must use two years from the same degree for GPA purposes. So, you could not use your final year of your BSc and your first year of a second degree. BUT, what you can do is do a fifth 'special' or victory lap year at Mac as an undergrad. UWO will allow you ONE special year after you have graduated in order to bring up your GPA. Going this route, you would not start a new degree, you would apply to Mac for special status to continue as an undergrad...then you take 5.0 full courses (and at least 3.0 of them must be second year and above to count). As long as your GPA in this special year and your final year of your degree (your other full time year) are above the cut, you are good to go. UWO only looks at two undergrad years....not your entire undergrad record to determine if you will get an interview.

The only other thing that you might want to look into is the pre-reqs. UWO has quite an exhaustive list....if you are short these you might want to take them during your special year. They include:

1.0 credit with lab in biology

1.0 credit with lab in organic chemistry (or 0.5 credit in orgo + 0.5 credit in biochem)

1.0 credit in a science unrelated to bio or chem (ie physics, math, computer science)

3.0 in arts or social science with at least 1.0 in 'essay courses'.

Good luck!

Guest JAMIRA

Thank you, Aneliz for your detailed response.

Just one more question, though - Even though Western only uses your GPA from two full-time years, don't I have to have at least 3 full-time years completed in order to apply? That's why I was considering starting a second degree.

Does anyone else know if doing a "special year" will help me out in terms of meeting the requirements for U of T or Queen's? Thanks :)

~Jamira

Guest jmh2005

Jamira,

Why not just consider doing an extra full year, in something you know you would do well in...you don't necessarily have to get another degree...this way you could just stay on at Mac as a 'continuing student', which will then make you eligible for most schools if you write the MCAT.

With an average above the median you do have a great shot at interviewing at Mac if you write a very good sketch...that might be something you might want to look at as well...have your sketch reviewed by someone you know at Mac...If you are really serious about Mac, that is probably my best advice...start NOW, send your sketch out to get feedback from as many people as you can...tell them you need honest, critical feedback...there must be some areas you can improve on...a friend of mine is already re-writing her sketch now for her re-application this October because she is determined to go to Mac. Hope that helps, best of luck!

Guest JAMIRA

jmh2005,

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely not giving up on Mac, I just want to have a few more options, just in case...

In terms of my sketch for next year's app, I have been working on it since March 5th (the day I got my rejection letter). :)

Thanks again...

~Jamira

One question about the fifth year or the victory. Suppose I did I fifth "victory" year and took all easy courses since the pre-reqs have already been completed then would UWO still accept it? Also, I'm an OOP applicant if it comes to UWO, does this "special student status" still work for me. I have this question because at UBC, according to UBC's med website, if a person registers as "unclassified" (I'm not sure if unclassified is the same as special in this case) their likelihood of being accepted is very slim.

EMHC

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not 100% sure on the extra year. There may be a restriction as far as what level of courses you might take, but I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions on what you take beyond that.

Guest aneliz

Hi all,

You need to have the EQUIVALENT of three full time years completed (which means 15.0 full courses) but you only need to have TWO 'full time' undergrad years. So this shouldn't be a problem.

As for the 'special year' - UWO will allow any student to use ONE (and only one) 'special' year for GPA purposes provided that:

1. The year is full time - 5.0 full or equivalent courses taken between Sept and April

2. At least 3.0 credits must be at the 2nd year or higher level.

UWO makes NO distinction between in province/OOP students...so it won't disadvantage you to be from BC.

Guest JAMIRA

Thanks for all the info. I am so glad I don't have to start all over again. So, if I do one more year, am I correct in assuming that I can't actually apply to Western until that extra year is complete? In other words, do I have to complete 2 full-time years in order to apply, or in order to be accepted? Thanks.

~Jamira

Guest aneliz

No, you can apply during next year...you will be eligible to get an interview provided that you have ONE full time year that is above next year's cut off...but, should you get an offer of admission, it will be conditional on you having completed your 'special' year with a GPA that is over the cut too. These are basically the same principles that are used with people that apply during their third year of undergrad...their acceptance is conditional on them having completed 15 credits...which they haven't at the time of appication but will have completed by the time they would be able to register in med the next Sept.

Archived