Premed 101 Forums

apply-should I even bother?

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I learned some interesting insights a few weeks back during one of our departmental executive committee meetings at UofT. Apparently it is not that UofT courses are necessarily harder than those offered at other schools, but unlike many other schools (Harvard being one of the more renowned among academic circles), UofT apparently does not like to practice grade inflation. This leaves departments in a tough situation, especially when it comes to evaluating their graduate students. They wish to keep the marking fair, but they don't wish to disadvantage their own students by not inflating grades. The jury remains out, apparently as no decisions have been made as to how to breach the issue.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Perhaps this is not relevant, but maybe I can bounce the idea off all of you anyway. I chose a small, excellent undergrad school and a program that I loved. I found that 'competition' in the class was pretty petty and it sort of ruined the lovely air of the love of learning and academics, so I always tried to stay focussed on my love of the topic. I think my grades reflected that. I found that so many of my classmates in the first couple of years were SO focussed on the grades and getting into medical school, but when push came to shove, in their upper years, they were mediocre students because the did not love their subjects. They also stopped thinking about pursuing medicine. So for them, the whole undergrad degree seemed like sort of a waste because they didn't love it, and they didn't end up doing the thing they went to school because of (Med school). Heck, I didn't know at age 18 that I would absolutely be going to medical school after university! That is why I'm telling my little sis (20) to find something she really loves studying or doing because plans can be so temporary. In lots of ways, a competative field like medicine is such a @#%$ shot when you start university --- you cannot know absolutely this is what you will be doing. So, after that long speech, I guess what I am trying to say is find a subject that interests you and pour yourself into it and get good grades because you are interested.

And as a side comment, some of the very best programs in Canada are tucked away in the tiniest university corners. Huge universities may have great research, but it has been my experience that you can get the richest, most student-focussed education at smaller, more intimate undergrad schools. If your purpose in going to school is to learn - which it should be - these wee universities can be little jewels!

Archived