Premed 101 Forums

Returning to school for 1 year

Guest MACOMERE

Guest MACOMERE

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if there is anyone like myself who would be returning to school this fall to do a year of science courses...

I plan to take bio, chem and physics but I am going back and forth between accepting U of T's and York's offer.

:rolleyes

MACOMERE

Guest DonaldKaufman

Yeah, I am planning on going back to school next year too, assuming that I don't get accepted at Queen's. I am going to take physics and organic chemistry. I want to be able to apply to US schools next time around. This is partly because I'm not so sure anymore that I will get into a Canadian school eventually, and partly because my girlfriend is American.

Here's the problem though...to me its seems that my application would look a lot better if I worked an impressive job for the next year (i.e. something related to medicine), but instead I will be taking 2 courses, which will likely relegate me to part time work. I think it will be more difficult to find a quality part time job than a good full time one.

Any ideas (and don't say 'live your life as you want, your application will take care of itself...I did that, and it didn't work!)?;)

Guest not rex morgan

You could try to find a lab job with a supervisor who is flexable enough to accomodate those two classes. I'm sure there are a few molecular projects out there you could pop in and start in the morning, start a wash or a pcr, go to class, do some studying, then finish.

Guest jmh2005

Before getting into Mac this year, I took a chem and a mol bio course just to add to my 'background', which didn't have a lot of pure science. I worked part-time (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) as an OT while going to school Mon, Wed and Fri during this 'extra year' and luckily for me it worked out.

I wouldn't really worry too much about the part-time thing, regardless of the job you get...to me it shows that you are dedicated, shows that you have the drive and desire to prepare yourself as best you can for medicine and it shows that you can juggle a variety of things at once. In fact, I can think of at least 4 people in my class who did this exact thing just prior to getting in. ...Just my two cents!

Guest AgentOrange0719

Hey .. I'm in the same situation as you... I'm probably going to take an an extra year and do science coarses and then apply to Med School.. If you get accepted to Queen's.. We should meet and chat about med school stuff.

Guest DonaldKaufman

AgentOrange, I assume you are in Kingston now? If I get in, and I feel like it's a big 'IF' at this point, I'd love to get together and chat about medicine, applying... the whole process. What science courses do you plan on taking?:hat

Archived