Premed 101 Forums

University of Waterloo Graduates PLEASE!!!

Guest aditiarora

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm about to start my second year in the biomed program at waterloo and I'm wondering, what are some good (aka BIRD:D ) electives to take?

I was thinking HIST 200, RS Love and friendship DE and Biol 250

What do you think, any suggestions? Thanks!

BTW, what is a good average to have from first year if I'm wanting to go to medschool? (big surprise there, eh?)

I really liked BIOL 250...don't know about the others though....I'm sure they are all good.

Halcyon, you said there is an easy and a hard ENGL 109 by DE, which is which?

What prof has the 'easier' course?

Thanks!

Its silly, they are BOTH called ENG 109DE, but one is 100% course work, no exam. That is the easier one. When I took it (I didn't know this going in) you actually hand in the same paper 3 times (peer review, TA Review, TA grading). That triple review helps up the grade. I think I cleared a 90% on that course.

The other uses MP3s and has an exam. Not the best choice :)

Its silly, they are BOTH called ENG 109DE, but one is 100% course work, no exam. That is the easier one. When I took it (I didn't know this going in) you actually hand in the same paper 3 times (peer review, TA Review, TA grading). That triple review helps up the grade. I think I cleared a 90% on that course.

I really like ENGL, so it wasn't a huge issue. But to make matters worse, the DE office lost my last essay, so it didn't get marked by the TA, but by the prof (look up on the prof on ratemyprofessor and you'll see what my poor essay was up against lol). The last essay was worth the most, but marked the hardest.

:cool:

I did like the course though.

How do the field courses work exactly? I was interested but didn't know how grading works.

You sign up for them in Dec/Jan. They are one to two weeks long and are normally held between semesters. Some are local, some are elsewhere in the world.

I wanted to "see the world" so I went to costa rica for 2 weeks, Barbados for two, and this august I am going to Africia for another 2 (I am going to miss the first day of schoo! :eek: ). Others are in the parks in Ontario, BC, Alberta etc.

You go into the field and study the wildlife during the day and have lectures at night with a professor. Most of the course is done in those two weeks, but I had a report due a few weeks later.

The course is usually a senior level credit - at waterloo they are 4th courses. Taking them means you can do a 4 course semester with the field course being the 5th course. I suppose that would help reduce the stress during the year.

Tons of fun, very easy to get a high A, and very interesting. You get to do some cool, cool things as well :)

You sign up for them in Dec/Jan. They are one to two weeks long and are normally held between semesters. Some are local, some are elsewhere in the world.

I wanted to "see the world" so I went to costa rica for 2 weeks, Barbados for two, and this august I am going to Africia for another 2 (I am going to miss the first day of schoo! :eek: ). Others are in the parks in Ontario, BC, Alberta etc.

You go into the field and study the wildlife during the day and have lectures at night with a professor. Most of the course is done in those two weeks, but I had a report due a few weeks later.

The course is usually a senior level credit - at waterloo they are 4th courses. Taking them means you can do a 4 course semester with the field course being the 5th course. I suppose that would help reduce the stress during the year.

Tons of fun, very easy to get a high A, and very interesting. You get to do some cool, cool things as well :)

COOL! I think the Costa Rica one looks pretty good and I can do it right after winter exams before summer co-op starts next year. Now I gotta figure out how to pay for it :eek:

That is fabulous! Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm not sure if this is posted already, but can someone please send me the BIOL 476 course outline? i'm accepted to a med school in australia, and they're asking for all of the waterloo undergrad courses i took. that's the only one i have left to acquire!

thanks gang!

j

Archived