Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Im Residency To Fellowship In The States

bubbot

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done their IM training in Canada as a Canadian citizen and successfully applied down south for a fellowship? I've spoken to people in my program and lurked the sdn forums for advice, but it is a HUGE challenge to find useful resources.

The biggest barrier seems to be visas and not really being able to do electives down there. USMLEs are not a concern as I will have finished all of them by the time I need to apply.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Some schools flat out don't take non Americans for electives. Other schools do but you need malpractice insurance, your program to approve it and a lot of administrative hurdles to jump through. Also there are 130 pulm/critical care programs in the states...so almost worthless to spend a lot of time at one or two centres unless it's definitely going to help get you in or you know you want to go there.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on what you want. I am current IM resident at a top tier program in USA. 

If you want PCC, is easy to get, even with no elective in USA you can land one. If you want GI or Card you need to come get a US-LOR for sure. 

Rheum, Nephro, Pulm, PCC easy to get. 

Hemonc/Onc  maybe with no US-LOR

Cardio  is tough you might wing it without a US-LOR but to be competitive you need one. 

GI you for sure need a US LOR. 

If you want PCC, make sure to get your PD to call the FD and advocate for you. get 2 LORs from Pulm and PCC attending. 

MICU and Pulm rotations are needed for sure with LORs from them.

You need research. At least 2 abstract and one 1 presentation on national Level.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input. My reasons in going to the States for fellowship are personal so staying in Canada is not really an option.

Also, I realize it may be relatively "easy" getting into Pulm/CCM, but with needing an H1B visa, that eliminates more than half of the options. Further, as the calibre of programs in the States tends to vary significantly compared to the programs in Canada, I'd like to really only apply to the programs that will provide good training/research opportunities etc.

Anyway I'll figure this out. Despite the mass exodus of surgical residents going to the States for fellowship it's pretty much unheard of in IM for whatever reason   :rolleyes:

Archived