Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance At American Schools?

Hi Everyone, 

I am a non-traditional undergraduate student and I was wondering if I have a shot at any of the American Schools as a Canadian applicant. 

I studied engineering for two years and I did terribly during those years (My cGPA for my 2 years of engineering is 2.8). I then decided to pursue a four-year Biology degree at a different university and managed to improve my academics (My cGPA for my four years of biology is 4.0). According to my calculations my AMCAS GPA considering every single course I have ever taken would be close to 3.55. I also wrote the MCAT and my score is as follows (12PS/9V/12BS). 

Having said all that, I was wondering if any of the US schools would examine the upward trend in my GPA and considering my MCAT score grant me an interview as a Canadian applicant?

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. 

Thank You!

Hi Everyone, 

I am a non-traditional undergraduate student and I was wondering if I have a shot at any of the American Schools as a Canadian applicant. 

I studied engineering for two years and I did terribly during those years (My cGPA for my 2 years of engineering is 2.8). I then decided to pursue a four-year Biology degree at a different university and managed to improve my academics (My cGPA for my four years of biology is 4.0). According to my calculations my AMCAS GPA considering every single course I have ever taken would be close to 3.55. I also wrote the MCAT and my score is as follows (12PS/9V/12BS). 

Having said all that, I was wondering if any of the US schools would examine the upward trend in my GPA and considering my MCAT score grant me an interview as a Canadian applicant?

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. 

Thank You!

The strong upward trend of 4 years of 4.0, will trump the 2 poor years. Assuming as well you had full-course load those 4 years.

The MCAT is fine too, apply broadly to all USMD schools you are interested in and see what happens. 

It will depend on if you have strong ECs or not too, stats aren't everything. As well as writing ability for primary and secondaries, in addition to interview skills. 

The strong upward trend of 4 years of 4.0, will trump the 2 poor years. Assuming as well you had full-course load those 4 years.

The MCAT is fine too, apply broadly to all USMD schools you are interested in and see what happens. 

It will depend on if you have strong ECs or not too, stats aren't everything. As well as writing ability for primary and secondaries, in addition to interview skills. 

Thank you so much. I will use MSAR to pick the Canadian friendly schools and will apply broadly to all USMD schools as you mentioned.  

Thank you so much. I will use MSAR to pick the Canadian friendly schools and will apply broadly to all USMD schools as you mentioned.  

sounds good - yeah you should be in good shape for US schools with that.

Not to mention of course many Canadian schools as well.

sounds good - yeah you should be in good shape for US schools with that.

Not to mention of course many Canadian schools as well.

Thank you. I am not sure if the American schools only look at my cGPA or take the time to look at the upward trend in my academics. I am new to the process but my assumption is that I would somehow be able to explain this upward trend to them through AMCAS. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to call each individual school and ask them?

One last question, in your opinion, which Canadian schools I should apply to?

Thanks again for your time,

Thank you. I am not sure if the American schools only look at my cGPA or take the time to look at the upward trend in my academics. I am new to the process but my assumption is that I would somehow be able to explain this upward trend to them through AMCAS. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to call each individual school and ask them?

One last question, in your opinion, which Canadian schools I should apply to?

Thanks again for your time,

1. If you're not an Ontarian, you will have advantage and good chance in your own province's MD schools.

2. Your cGPA 3.55 and VR9 put your chance at McMaster almost zero even your Casper is outstanding at top 1%.

3. If you're not from South-West Ontario, Western Ontario need VR11.

4. If you're not from Northern Ontario, aboriginal or rural region, chance at Northern Ontario is near zero.

5. If you're not from Manitoba or Saskatchewan, you need MCAT 35+ for interview as an OOP recent years.

6. I don't know 3 French schools in Quebec, McGill is more like Ottawa, MCAT is not needed.

Other than schools above, rest schools in Canada using wGPA, which are best 2 years GPA, last two years GPA, last three years(Ottawa), drop worst year, drop worst 12 courses(your 6 years GPA at u. Toronto), etc. Which all are good for your GPA calculation. But you still need good ECs, reference and essays to backup your application.

I agree your chance for AMCAS are good for lower to middle tier USMD schools If your ECs, reference and essays can back you up.

Good luck.

Archived