Premed 101 Forums

Extensiveness Of Ophtho Background

Hey folks,

My cousin is an ophthalmology resident and he helped me get involved in the field quite a bit during undergrad. I was wondering how much is required to get into the residency? I've done 3 year research project with his former supervisor which I'll present at the COS conference, went to Ghana for Unite for Sight, chaired an organization that provides visual acuity exams for children (mostly on raising awareness of local services, not diagnostics) and now we will be conducting an ophthalmic outreach in the inner-city this summer. I'm not sure if that is a strong enough start or how much more I'd need to engage in to be competitive. Of course doing every elective as ophtho and continuing research work as much as possible is key, but what else is there? 

As you haven't started medical school yet, that's a very strong start. From the people I know who matched this year, the key seems to be research and getting to know the people at the programs that you're interested in.

As with any specialty, I'd argue that you shouldn't do all your elective in one thing. In fact, many school make it so that you can't do all your electives in one specialty.

Hey folks,

My cousin is an ophthalmology resident and he helped me get involved in the field quite a bit during undergrad. I was wondering how much is required to get into the residency? I've done 3 year research project with his former supervisor which I'll present at the COS conference, went to Ghana for Unite for Sight, chaired an organization that provides visual acuity exams for children (mostly on raising awareness of local services, not diagnostics) and now we will be conducting an ophthalmic outreach in the inner-city this summer. I'm not sure if that is a strong enough start or how much more I'd need to engage in to be competitive. Of course doing every elective as ophtho and continuing research work as much as possible is key, but what else is there? 

What you've done is great so far.  I'm also interested in ophthalmology - and have published some research during my masters year already that is related to vision science.  I hope to get at least 5 or so papers done by 4th year to be competitive.

The field is still fantastic - and the money and lifestyle is incredibly good - literally a license to print money.  Not to mention all the private revenue sources that the Ontario and BC governments can't regulate.  The only issue is getting OR time.  But in one day, I know an ophthalmologist that runs 2 ORs and does 40 cataracts in that one day (once a week)- that means essentially close to 20 thousand dollars  in one day with no expenses (hospital OR) for 8-9 hours of work.  And with macular degen injections, other surgical procedures, and medical ophthalmology - guy bills well over 35 thousand a week with expenses no more than 5 thousand a week.  That's not bad money!!

What you've done is great so far.  I'm also interested in ophthalmology - and have published some research during my masters year already that is related to vision science.  I hope to get at least 5 or so papers done by 4th year to be competitive.

The field is still fantastic - and the money and lifestyle is incredibly good - literally a license to print money.  Not to mention all the private revenue sources that the Ontario and BC governments can't regulate.  The only issue is getting OR time.  But in one day, I know an ophthalmologist that runs 2 ORs and does 40 cataracts in that one day (once a week)- that means essentially close to 20 thousand dollars  in one day with no expenses (hospital OR) for 8-9 hours of work.  And with macular degen injections, other surgical procedures, and medical ophthalmology - guy bills well over 35 thousand a week with expenses no more than 5 thousand a week.  That's not bad money!!

I know tons of people who got in without any publications so don't stress it! Based on your past performances throughout undergrad, you'll be a shoe in for ophtho.

And I should really look into finances for medicine...I'm just happy to stop taking the bus everywhere because I'll be able to afford a car! :P

I'm going to agree with everyone else that you're off to a good start for ophtho. 

However, since you haven't even started med school yet I'm going to make a suggestion: don't go in with blinders on. You're already in good position to explore ophtho further but don't miss out on other opportunities just because you have it in your head that you're gunning for ophtho. medicine is super interesting and you'll find that there are tons of things that you might really like that you weren't expecting and things that you were expecting to enjoy that were just terrible. 

I went into med school thinking that I really wanted to do emerg. I spent the first 2 years gearing my experiences toward a residency in emerg. I did shadowing and research and went to all the club events. I read articles, went to journal clubs. And then something happened - I stepped foot inside an OR and was totally hooked. I redirected everything toward an application in gen surg and i'm really happy that I did! 

I'm going to agree with everyone else that you're off to a good start for ophtho. 

However, since you haven't even started med school yet I'm going to make a suggestion: don't go in with blinders on. You're already in good position to explore ophtho further but don't miss out on other opportunities just because you have it in your head that you're gunning for ophtho. medicine is super interesting and you'll find that there are tons of things that you might really like that you weren't expecting and things that you were expecting to enjoy that were just terrible. 

I went into med school thinking that I really wanted to do emerg. I spent the first 2 years gearing my experiences toward a residency in emerg. I did shadowing and research and went to all the club events. I read articles, went to journal clubs. And then something happened - I stepped foot inside an OR and was totally hooked. I redirected everything toward an application in gen surg and i'm really happy that I did! 

Oh don't even worry about that! This was just to see what options I have for the super competitive residency. I'm a die-hard generalist so FM, EM, GIM (even PHPM) are my main goals. I enjoyed working in ophtho and have great connections for the future, and know how significant it is with the aging population. I just want to know that if this is the path I decide to take, that I have my foot in the door to kick some fellow gunners' butts :) 

Archived