Premed 101 Forums

Hypothetical Pub Q.

I would argue that publishing in a low impact journal is better than publishing in a student journal. A student journal technically has an impact factor of 0 so it doesn't really compare to a legitimate peer-reviewed journal and is not put through the same rigorous reviewing standards. Additionally, just because a journal is a low impact journal doesn't mean it's a poor journal. A lot of clinical/surgical journals have low impact factors. However, publishing in a student journal is still better than nothing. 

Depends on the student journal! Publishing in Harvard law journal would probably be more impressive than some low impact journal that nobody's heard of. Any publication is good. I would be weary of predatory journals though. Your supervisor should know what the "good" journals to publish in are. You can also publish pretty much the same thing in a student journal as well as a "real" journal. Because chances are nobody outside of your school gets the student journal.

Thanks for the comments!

@ Panacea: Yes, that's what I thought.

@ Oshaku: It's a Yale UG J. It's actually pretty tough to publish in Harvard/Yale Law Journals (from what I've heard)! I don't think this particular journal has the same "prestige" but it does have Yale in its name ;) 

Is it wrong to include the same paper in your application twice even if you published in a student journal and a "real" journal?

Thanks for the comments!

@ Panacea: Yes, that's what I thought.

@ Oshaku: It's a Yale UG J. It's actually pretty tough to publish in Harvard/Yale Law Journals (from what I've heard)! I don't think this particular journal has the same "prestige" but it does have Yale in its name ;)

Is it wrong to include the same paper in your application twice even if you published in a student journal and a "real" journal?

You shouldn't be publishing word-for-word in those two journals. They can be very very similar, but not word-for-word.  I guess what I mean by publishing the same thing is that they can have say up to 90% identical content, or just differ by one figure/paragraph.  Since it's a paper in the student journal and a paper in a "real" journal, it is technically two papers, so you can include as two papers. 

Archived